Monday, September 21, 2009

Out to Sea

Last weekend we went on a pelagic trip into the deep blue Pacific. It was a good trip (and no barfing!) but it got pretty crazy cold and rainy after a few hours (we were out 7 am to 4 pm). It was a pretty tiny boat and I'm quite happy that I don't get motion sickness, or at least sea sick. That could get ugly. I had never been before, but had much fun despite the dramamine making me really rather sleepy. I did lose feeling in my fingers at some point because of the cold but it was all worth it because there were hundreds of dolphins!! (and many snazzy birds as well). Good stuff all around. Check out the dolphin videos - they followed the boat for a bit more than an hour, SOoooo cool! They were mainly Pacific white sided dolphins with some northern right whale dolphins also. Loved 'em.






We also saw 4 humpback whales, which...I was kinda going nuts about because I had never seem them before. We didn't get too close but the views were decent. I definitely approved :) Lots of seals, harbor porpoises, and sea lions also and another river otter family on the way back in playing on the coast. Ohh and also a shark fin. Let's say it was a great white. I mean, we can't be sure,but let's say it was. Hundreds of gnarly looking jellyfish also, once we got closer to the shore. The whole scenario with 10 foot swells and rain and wind and stuff didn't make for good pictures, sadly enough. But the videos were much better for this kinda thing anyway, yes?

Here's the list of bird nerd stuff :

Northern Pintail
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Common Loon
Black-footed Albatross
Northern Fulmar
Pink-footed Shearwater
Flesh-footed Shearwater

Buller's Shearwater
Sooty Shearwater
Sooty/Short- tailed
Shearwater
Brown Pelican

Brandt's Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Pelagic Cormorant
Peregrine Falcon
Whimbrel
Black Turnstone
Red-necked Phalarope
Red Phalarope
Sabine's Gul
Bonaparte's Gull
Heermann's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Western Gull
California Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull
Caspian Tern
Common Tern
Arctic Tern
South Polar Skua
Pomarine Jaeger

Parasitic Jaeger

Long-tailed Jaeger

Common Murre

Marbled Murrelet
Cassin's Auklet
Rhinoceros Auklet

And one more dolphin video for good measure.

1 comment:

zac loman said...

I don't believe this videos are real. I think you took them at an aquarium.