Monday, November 30, 2009

Arcata Marsh




We've been handed some pretty superb weather lately. Today I took advantage of it and went to the Arcata Marsh for a few hours. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary bird-wise, but the regulars were out and about.

From top to bottom: Dunlin and Least Sandpiper, Black-capped Chickadee (who actually sat still for a second!), Great Egret, Least Sandpipers (who were not paying attention to my stalking skills), American Pipit!, a good lookin' Northern Shoveler, Chestnut-sided Chickadee, Coot, Golden-crowned Sparrow eating something tasty, Least Sandpipers, Green-winged Teals, Egret, bunch of shorebirds, and a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow.










5 comments:

Tony said...

Nice photos, clear and close. I haven't seen too many Black-capped Chickadees in Michigan lately. We used to have plenty. Thanks for the photos.

Powell River Books said...

Nice shots. Interesting job you have. I live in a float cabin in Coastal BC. This week we saw a small bird hopping in and out of the water and swimming a bit along the shore. It didn't have webbed feet, but paddled pretty good. My bird guide didn't help me identify it. I love watching my natural surroundings. You mentioned bats. We have bats come to live in our roof each summer. They make a bit of noise, but I'm sure they help keep the mosquitoes down. - Margy

Johnny Nutcase said...

Thanks, Tony - i was surprised a couple of the litte guys let me get so close.

A float cabin in BC - sounds pretty awesome! Hmm..what did the bird look like? Bats are pretty cool little creatures I've come to realize!

Rajesh said...

Fantastic snaps. I had not seen so much variety before.

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous photos of the birds. And great bird sighting.