Monday, December 21, 2009

Close Encounters with a Collared Lizard


Im posting this for January's House of Herps a little early since I'll be out of the country and probably won't have much internet access. These photos are from last August in the Arizona Strip/Vermilion Cliffs area. Zac and I were there for a couple weeks doing field work. This day we were out playing in canyons without ropes (not advised) and were on our way back for the day when I saw this Common Collared Lizard. Assuming it would dash away within seconds, I took some far away shots while slowly creeping closer.


Amazingly, she stayed there, letting me get right up next to her. I wish I had the macro with me at the time, but I'm not about to complain about these photos. I just couldn't believe I was able to get so close. I took my hat off at one point and she made a little perch out of it! My guess is she had never seen people before - we were pretty much out in the boonies (just the way I like it!) and I guess just didn't care. Never seen such a nonchalant lizard, it was great! Perhaps she was just as curious about us as we were about her.
She just continued posing for photo after photo. I love the ones with the Vermilion Cliffs in the background. I think she wanted me to make her a star, ha! I love also that she let me take a photo with her!? I'm pretty sure we could have just set up camp right there and she would have stayed and had dinner with us or something. Such a fun few minutes with a wild collared lizard!

13 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jill: That is a beauty of a lizard, one rule for sure in the wild. The animals will act as they want to, not the way you will want them to act.

Your EG Tour Guide said...

What a character the lizard appears to me. You didn't need a macro lens to get great photos!

dutchbaby said...

What a wonderful experience. I feel your excitement in your description of this encounter. There is nothing more exhilarating than seeing animals in the wild, especially if they are still unafraid of humans.

It looks like you have a dream job!

squirrel said...

That is so cool. I only see Fence Lizards in WV, if I am lucky. Great photos. I'm off to look at more of your entries. Thanks

HANNIBAL said...

Gorgeous shots of a very interestingly marked lizard! He posed quite nicely!

JOE TODD said...

That is a lizard with "attitude"

MedaM said...

What a wonderful blog you have! Your photos are really fantastic.I am honored by your visit on my blog. Thank you.

Johnny Nutcase said...

thanks so much! these are definitely some of my favorite pictures, I have one of framed of her posing in this room actually. She's gotta be my favorite lizard :)

Michael said...

So photogenic that lizard. They are all very good but I like the last one best. He's quite regal looking.

ramblingwoods said...

Oh what an opportunity and so cooperative..I was going to say that the background on that one photo is stunning....Gosh..I just remembered that mine is going to be a snapping turtle...not as photogenic ..Michelle

Johnny Nutcase said...

thanks Michael and RW - hey! snapping turtles are awesome, I love those guys, I bet your post will be great :)

Marvin said...

A wonderful post. Thanks for sharing your great photos.

ramblingwoods said...

Great photos Jill..I will never get to see anything like this here in western NY...Michelle

My Hoh-snapping turtles