Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Golden-cheeked Fledgie

Awww, I miss the little Golden-cheeked Warblers! Look how sweet this little fledgie is! Was just going through my photos of these guys from this spring/summer and realized I had more pictures than I remembered taking. More of them later, feast your eyeballs on this cutie for now. The Golden-cheeked Warbler (GCWA) is an endangered species that nests in an extremely limited area (South central Texas). It makes it's nest out of the Ashe Juniper tree and nests only in that or a few kinds of oaks, but it's habitat is threatened from clearing the trees for livestock, roads, etc. I love these little guys. This is one of the fledglings from this past season. He was pretty curious about the camera and he and his siblings posed for a few photos. Camera Critters and Mellow Yellow

18 comments:

holdingmoments said...

He's a beauty.
Love the Avocets in the earlier post too.

Life With Dogs said...

I'm not sure that I've ever seen one. Very cool!

Stine in Ontario said...

I've never seen one of these...but then I saw you're in California! No wonder!

Johnny Nutcase said...

Thanks all! In North America, the Golden-cheeked warbler is actually only found in a small section of Texas. they have a really small breeding range. If you ever can, go find 'em...great little birds!

SquirrelQueen said...

He is a cutie.

Quilt Works said...

Very nice photo! Good looking bird.


... See the "Buddies"

eileeninmd said...

What a beauty, It would be a new bird for me.

chubskulit said...

She's beautiful!

Please come and meet our New Baby Champ. Merry Christmas!

Misty Dawn said...

What a spectacular capture! I've never seen one before, but I have photographed a Yellow Rumped Warbler

Kate said...

The yellow "cheek" feathers enhance the beauty of this little creature.

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Very nice capture!

rinzonelle said...

Nice Catch. Love your critter. Hope you can find time to visit mine.

ellen said...

Nice entry for camera critters. Mine is up. Hope to see you there. God Bless!

rinzo said...

Happy camera critters please view my very first entry!

Diane AZ said...

Fantastic capture of an endangered species. He is a sweetie!

Manang Kim said...

Wow that is a very pretty yellow checked bird haven't seen that. Thanks for sharing!

Nativity scene

Irene said...

How lovely, sorry to hear about yet another endangered bird.

Johnny Nutcase said...

The Golden-cheeked, despite being endangered, seems to be doing pretty well. So that's good news :)