Thursday, December 10, 2009

Harbor Seals Sitting Pretty


These are the Harbor Seals I saw at Patrick's Point yesterday. There were three of them sunning themselves (two different ones in these photos). I managed to get pretty close by sneaking on the infamous slippery slimy rocks and dodging the waves yet again ...I must be pretty good, because I didn't get wet at all. This guy below would throw his tail up any time a big wave would crash. I had a blast watching these guys.
It would appear that they have been eating pretty well lately, eh? I took a bunch of photos, but I was fighting some really harsh light most of the time (of course by the time I climbed up back to the ridge, the sun was behind the clouds..oh well) and these were the best shots. Click here for more camera critters.

11 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

They are a handsome lot, the last one seems to be enjoying the attention.

Patrick's Point is a great place. We lived in Eureka in the late nineties and it was a favorite spot of mine.

holdingmoments said...

Excellent trio.
Enjoyed looking through your blog, especially the birds pictures.
Patrick's Point looks a great place to visit.

eileeninmd said...

It looks like they were posing for you. Great shots.

Denise said...

Your photos are so sharp and clear. I posted photos of Harbor Seals too but they're not as good a quality as yours. I had a great time taking them though. Great photos!

chubskulit said...

Beautiful! Following your blog now.

Did you ever ride a carabao?

Martha in PA said...

Great shots - love seals and sea lions!

My CC

Steve Borichevsky said...

Great minds think alike! Love your seal shots!

Carolyn Ford said...

We enjoy watching and photographing harbor seals in Monterrey and other spots along the Pacific. These are great captures of magnificent critters!

Dirkjogt said...

Wow! Great shots. Must be fantastic to watch these seals alive!

HANNIBAL said...

Amazing! Truly!

Johnny Nutcase said...

thanks for the comments...yup! these guys were pretty cool indeed! i managed to get pretty close without bothering them. I rarely see them out of the water, so was pretty excited that day.