Friday, December 18, 2009

In Praise of Bristlecones, Part II



One entry is obviously not enough for these trees, so here's the second. I could easily do more than two, but I'm trying to contain myself. Let's start with some texture shots...each tree varies from the next in regards to shape, texture, color.
And here are a few photos proving just how the intense wind, rain, and snow can mold these trees.


If I remember correctly, this one below was still alive, with just a touch of green, but had fallen pretty much completely over. Check out the growth shooting straight up from one of the main fallen trunks. Those particular points were not thriving, but other parts of the tree were. Pretty cool, huh? And below that is another example of new growth. And young versus old again.


A lot of the photos from these two entries are from a solo hike where I happened to get pretty lost. It's a really good thing I had the GPS with me and had marked certain points because otherwise things could have gotten pretty ugly with no real trail. I had wandered a couple miles from where I was supposed to be, which is a whole lot when you're in the middle of nowhere, with various mountain ranges surrounded you. But despite figuring this out, I still kept stopping to check out the trees and take their pictures. I couldn't help myself.




There's so much more I could mention about the Bristlecones, but more or less, the photos speak for themselves. The trees have a lot to say and I think the pictures assist that a lot more than words.



12 comments:

Dimple said...

I grew up in California and have heard about bristlecones before; but not very much. Thanks for the info and the fine photos. 5000 years, wow!
Thanks also for your visit!

Mike said...

Nice blue sky in your pictures. Wish I have some here at the moment. Very nice Bristlecone images.

Dave said...

Very cool trees and stunning photographs - these are now definitely on my must see list! Time to plan a spring road trip. Love your blog - beautiful photographs and writing.

Cheers,

Dave

Steve Borichevsky said...

Wow (again)

Johnny Nutcase said...

Anyone who loves Bristlecones is a friend of mine!

luna miranda said...

these trees ares stunning! fabulous photos!

Light and Voices said...

Happy Holidays! Lovely images.
Joyce M

eileeninmd said...

Cool shot of the Bristlecones and the pretty blue sky. Happy holidays!

Hootin' Anni said...

Super beautiful!!!!

I have a Christmas wish along with my usual Wednesday post today. [the Wednesday issue of posting is below my 'card' posted just for you....]

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY.

...for the permalink to my day's post, click here.

chubskulit said...

You're a good photographer, these are all great!

Please come and see my Outdoor post. Merry Christmas.

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

What gorgeous photos...

Lori E said...

Well thank you for risking life and "limb" for us. Ha, ha, get it limb, tree limb. I crack myself up.
I live in the south west part of British Columbia and have appreciated the beauty of similar trees in person.