Sunday, December 27, 2009

Leafcutter Ants in Action



A couple photos of leaf cutter ants in Uvita, Costa Rica. These guys are pretty snazzy with their leaf chopping abilities and their ant trail interstates. We were pretty impressed with them and enjoyed watching their shenanigans whenever we came across a colony, which was fairly often. They can carry 30 times their weight. As much as we saw them, I didn't really get many photos of them. One day I'll master taking the 500 mm lens off and quickly putting the macro and scorpion flash on in quicker time. Untill then... Macro Monday and Macro Lovers

10 comments:

Colleen said...

fascinating subjects

awarewriter said...

Nice work. Fast on the draw. I've always been fascinated with ants (and all the other tiny creatures). Thanks for the peek.

Teresa said...

Very interesting!

Pamela said...

can't help but recall that story of the grasshopper and the ant -- when I see them working so hard to store their winter larder.

villager said...

Great photos, and I'll bet it was hard to catch the moving ants!

jay said...

I tried to photograph a large red ant in Utah a few weeks ago and it was nearly impossible with a macro lens! They move so fast! I'm going to see if I can set up a vivarium for this summer.

Birgitta said...

Fantastic capture!

Maria said...

Great pictures!
Happy New Year!

Törnebohms Fotoblogg said...

Great pictures!

Tony said...

Nice photos of the ants. Hate to admit it, but I also found the ant wars on Discovery Channel interesting.