Monday, December 14, 2009

Low Tide Goodness


Starfish! Sea Stars! Wandered over to the North Spit this afternoon (the rain decided to hold off most of the day, much to my happiness) during low tide. We go there pretty regularly, but for some bizarre reason, never during low tide. Today we went during low tide, and I actually had the macro with me. It's my new best friend, I really feel bad for having forgotten about that poor, sweet sweet lens for so long. What was I thinking!?
Anyway, found my starfish and finally snagged some photos of them...again, dodging waves and crawling on slippery rocks. It seems that's just what I do best, the whole slimy rock walk thing.
I went a little nuts with the starfish photos, but I just got so excited about them, I couldn't help it. There was a lot of other weird and cool tidal stuff hanging out on the rocks too. The crazy green eye blob above is some sort of anemone, but I can't figure out exactly what kind yet. The cluster below are goose barnacles.
This next one is called a black chiton, followed by a dogwinkle. These things have great names, don't they?

Next are acorn barnacles, anemones, goose barnacles and sea stars.




Moving on to yet more goose barnacles with some mussels, some sort of kelp, and red algae or sea grass? I dunno...I'm not really up on my tide zone stuff just yet. I just have a little guidebook I'm going by right now. Help me if you can.



And then a few more of the same...I said I went a little crazy.




16 comments:

Jacqui said...

These pictures are just stunning - I loved every one.

John W. Wall said...

A pretty good guide I use is "The Beachcomber' S Guide to Seashore Life in the Pacific Northwest".

Birgitta said...

Amazing photoserie from you here!

Photo By Manka said...

Excellent photos you shown us.

Thx for visiting my site.

/Magnus

Catherine said...

wow what beautiful close-ups - is that really still our world??

Photo Cache said...

what a fabulous post, informative and filled with lovely images.

Samson said...

Wonderful post, very colorful and informative...

pictures are stunning, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your comments on my blog, have a great week ahead

Lantaw said...

its the first time I've seen starfishes like those. beautiful!

Barb said...

These are eerie and other-worldly! I love the designs and the shapes and the colors. Such great shots - thanks for showing us this low tide world.

Powell River Books said...

I love to walk through tide pool or kayak along a rocky shore. You really captured some great colour in your shots. I invite you to come see my snowy airport. - Margy

Carolyn Ford said...

You have a wonderful post that is so informative. Your photos are excellent...beautiful!

Tony said...

I like the starfish. I really never knew they could be multi-colored. I always thought they were kinda white. Nice video also.

eileeninmd said...

Cool shots of the starfish! All the photos are just excellent!

Johnny Nutcase said...

thank you! i've been trying for a while to get a starfish picture. I lived in this same area for a few months last year but never got a good shot of one....there were mainly orange ones, with a mix of purple and pink ones.

Elizabeth Enslin said...

I spent my childhood hopping around tide pools (as well as snorkeling and scuba diving). This brought back some good memories. I just got a macro lens myself and am eager to try it out. Nice photos.


Blog Your Way to Success With Hairy Legs

KaHolly said...

What a wonderful journey, laced with style and personality. Amazing photography. ~karen