Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Mushrooms and Seals and Stuff



We spent most of the day at Patrick's Point State Park (probably one of my favorite state parks). Really cold again, but what an awesome day - saw a bunch of Townsend's Warblers, Ruby and Golden-crowned Kinglets, Black Oystercatchers, tons of Wrentits, a handful of Hermit Thrushes, Hairy Woodpeckers, Brown Creepers, some Winter Wrens, lots of gulls and cormorants also. Also saw three harbor seals sunning themselves on the rocky shore. Love 'em! I'll post those pictures later. Really fun day despite the cold.

I finally got the macro lens out and played with that a little bit today. It intimidates me and the flash scares the crap out of me. I haven't used that lens in way too long, but I freaking love it! I played around with a little bit and used these mushrooms as my targets.

13 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Really like these, especially the low angles. Feels like I'm right there with them.

awarewriter said...

Looks like a succesful macro lens expedition to me. I suppose you need flash since mushrooms like the dark. Wonder if your flash scared them?

Jama said...

Awesome macros!

teresa said...

I am not a big fan of mushrooms but you make them look art like. Great photos.

Birgitta said...

Great macros here!

SquirrelQueen said...

Great macros, really beautiful mushrooms.
The Road to Here

lisaschaos said...

These are brilliant macros! You should not fear that lens at all! Beautiful!

Sarah said...

Oh oh oh beautiful fungi!! What a great set of macros!! Beatuiful, Sarah

villager said...

It looks like you should "play" with the macro lens more often! These photos are wonderful. Interesting subject matter to say the least.

Tammie Lee said...

You take gorgeous mushroom shots! I love them little critters.

jay said...

Great shots! Do I see Fly Agaric in there? Pretty red thing with white spots?

Dave said...

Nice shots Jill - not a blah image in the bunch!

Gel said...

Oooh- those mushrooms look like miniature forests when grouped together. Enjoyed the wide variety and learning about them. Wow- sunning seals. Looking forward to those! Happy MM.