Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Redwood Forest Floor


I was happy when the weather forecast lied today. 90% chance of rain turned into none at all, oh yeah! Zac and I went out with the intent to try out the slackline set up that Sunny and Ben got us. We don't have a yard so I wanted to go out into the depths of the redwoods where no one would see us. Luckily, we know about an unused/old logging road that is now a trail that no one seems to use.
The trail was soaking wet from this week's rain and filled with an abundance of mushrooms. I was kinda hoping for a bear also. No bears, but there a couple tree frogs and a few banana slugs as usual. These made for good macros, speaking of...go here (macro monday) for more. That slug above was enjoying lunch when I snapped his picture. Look at his tiny teeth and eyes! I can usually find the frogs from their vocalizations, but then they hop away quickly, but this guy hung around for a photo op.
Now to the fungus, the mushrooms. We got a field guide today, but well, I'm having issues id'ing most of them. This one above? No idea what it is. The stem was 10-12 inches high and we only saw one. The ones below are called Orange Peel. Easy to see why, eh?

The next ones are Fluted Elfin Saddle if I'm not mistaken. But, I may be mistaken. Wild looking organisms!

This next set are all shrimp mushrooms I think. The green ones are just older, which is why they are green. Correct me if I'm incorrect, please, thank you.


Some lichen, drenched ferns and one of many beetles...


The one right below is Turkey Tail (I think) and the one below that is some sort of Russula - probably an older Black and White.

This next lot are all unknowns to me. I'll look more in depth in the book later, but for now? Dunno!



So, we did finally set the slackline up. It was the first try for both of us. For some reason, I thought it would be a breeze, but um, no. However, after about 20 minutes, I managed to walk 5 good size steps without falling or shaking the line violently, so I was pretty pumped about that. Here I am attempting to be graceful and making weird faces.

18 comments:

Robby said...

Nice blog and nice photos. Your pictures are of things that not many people notice.
Take care,
Robby R

SquirrelQueen said...

I had forgotten about the banana slugs, great shot of it eating. Great photos, I love seeing all the different mushroom. Looks like you had fun with the slackline.

anw said...

Before you know it, you'll be running across the slackline!

John W. Wall said...

I'm glad you had a picture cuz I didn't even know what a slack line was. The fluted black elfin saddles appear to be getting parasitized by another fungus: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hypomyces_cervinigenus.html

Anonymous said...

Wow where did you get the awesome slack line?

Sunny said...

Awesome slug picture.

Neil said...

Great photos. The slug close and frog especially

teresa said...

Wonderful photos. Five steps on the line? I can barely pull that off on the ground. I am impressed.

awarewriter said...

You have been busy. The series is both comprehensive and beautiful.

Colleen said...

The slug photo is amazing. How cool to catch him eating!

Müge said...

These photos are fantastic!!! How extraordinary creatures!!! I am really fascinated! :-)

Have a beautiful week and a Merry Christmas!

jay said...

Banana slug! Ewwww! I love pretty much all creatures, except slugs. For some reason I have a little bit of a phobia about them. Can't help it. Good pic though!

The fungus photos are great! It's tough IDing them though, so many species are so similar that the only way is to look for the spore patterns or something. Love the black beetle too!

The slackline looks huge fun!

Jama said...

Interesting looking mushrooms! most of the ones I've seen are just the boring type! lol

Helena said...

This is a very interesting collection of photos! You have pictures of things I'd never even considered taking pictures of, especially the slug. :)

villager said...

Amazing photos - I've never seen the teeth on a slug before, but I've seen what their teeth do to leaves.

Chie Wilks said...

awesome sets of photos..i love that green froggy..

mine is up too

Johnny Nutcase said...

banana slugs are goofy little creatures. I saw one eating a dead baby bird a few months ago (no camera on me at the time). But, they are still kinda cute once you look at their faces. Im new at the mushroom identifications, so if anyone has insights lemme know. thanks for all the kinda comments!

Dave said...

Nice series of images Jill - love your blog, great collections of awesome photographs and writing.

Cheers,

Dave