Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Texas Birds 2009



Since it's the end of the year, I thought it would be appropriate to do an entry (make that a few entries) on some of the more exciting birds from 2009. My year number is about 510 - this is thanks to Zac, who keeps track on Ebird. Some aren't the best pictures and some of the better pictures aren't necessarily exciting birds. The first set is from Texas (all over the state). From the top: Vermilion Flycatcher, Green Jay, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Painted Bunting, Golden-cheeked Warbler Fledgling, Spoonbills, Black-capped Vireo, Piping Plover, Blue-headed Vireo, Altimira Oriole, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Bronzed Cowbird, Golden-cheeked Warbler.

10 comments:

NatureFootstep said...

you have a lot of nice birds. Do you know of "Bird Photography Weekly"?

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

eileeninmd said...

Jill, you saw some great birds in 2009. Your photos are wonderful. I would love to see the Green Jay and a better sighting of the Vermilion Flycatcher. I got a quick view of the Vermilion in Belize. But we were in a vehicle traveling so it happen to fast for a good look. I need to go to Texas.

Michael said...

I've never been to Texas so I'm new to some of these birds. The Golden-cheeked Warblers drew my eye. So sad to hear about their plight.

ramblingwoods Nature Notes Meme said...

Welcome to Nature Notes Jill..I am thrilled to have you especially with these wonderful bird photos. The colors and the movement that you have caught is magical. That is quite a life list..Congrats and many more next year... Michelle

MyMaracas said...

Wow, what a great set of photos! I've never even heard of some of those birds, much less seen them.

Amazing.

Stine in Ontario said...

I'm impressed with the variety of you saw in 2009. And wow, the ones you hae showcased here are so beautiful!

jason said...

I would say I'm partial to Texas birds since I live in the state and get to boast about more than six hundred species of avifauna... But my goodness you took my breath away with these images! Absolutely beautiful. If I didn't already live here, you'd make me want to visit.

Greyscale Territory said...

The scissor tailed flycatcher is utterly fascinating and love the colours you have captured in the other birds!

Leora said...

Such a lovely collection of birds! The most colorful ones we get are cardinals. You are talented at bird photography. The Painted Bunting does catch my eye.

Carver said...

What a fantastic post. You have taken some wonderful photographs of such a variety of birds.