Saturday, January 23, 2010

Frowny Birds and a Bunch of Mossy Stuff


It stopped raining for two hours yesterday! The sun even decided to make an appearance, wow! We had heard that the salmon were spawning, and I really wanted to see them, so we went to Headwaters Preserve. The salmon spawn in the Elk River, which runs through the preserve. I was all excited to see 'em, but because of the flooding and excessive rain, the water was really high, so we either couldn't see them or they weren't there. I think they are up at the Mad River also, so maybe we'll try that out next time.
There weren't many birds out ant about today either. The little Golden-crowned Kinglets were doing their usually hyper thing. This picture isn't super sharp, but I love how they look face-on with their little goofy frowns. They look so perturbed, it's cute every time.
The salmon were a bust, but it was still nice to actually get out for a couple hours. Having been in the tropics, in the sun and outside for more than 2 weeks straight, and then coming back here, where it hasn't stopped raining at all has been a difficult transition!


22 comments:

ramblingwoods.com said...

The kinglets are such amazing little birds...Michelle

Michael said...

I like your Kinglet too. Just the right angle to show off that frown. Over here we have the similarly marked Goldcrest. They are frowny too.

Bengbeng said...

i came over to yr blog bcos of monochrome maniacs but this is going to sound so cliche but i love yr pics n the way u did yr write-ups. definitely worth a bookmark. i have bookmarked you and hope to visit you more often although I dont often comment unless it is for monochrome

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Awesome photos, your work is beautiful!

Johnny Nutcase said...

thanks to all , and Bengbeng, I appreciate it :) I got another shot of the kinglet about to fly away - i'll have to post that. I love those little birds!

ramblingwoods said...

Thank you for adding this post to Nature Notes..I do love the expressions that some of the birds have..to me hawks always look really angry...maybe they are..who knows.. Michelle

eileeninmd said...

Great shot of the frowning kinglet. I love all the ferns and moss, it looks so luch there. Great photos Jill!

A piece of news said...

That kinglet does look really perturbed! What a wonderfully funny face.

Carver said...

Wonderful set of shots. I love the little bird and the woods filled with hanging moss is fantastic. I also always like mushrooms. All great photos of a magical place.

Stine in Ontario said...

Love all that "mossy stuff." And the kinglets are precious critters.

foto CHIP said...

What a thrilling start in Scenic Sunday. Your pictures are amaizing too - the bird looks so funny in that angel :)

Evelyn Howard said...

Love those mossy pics.

Benikos place said...

Fantastic photos!! thanks you very much.

Randi said...

Beautiful sequence of shots. I love the green moss. I dream of green woods now - everything has been covered in white too long now!
Happy weekend.

cat said...

Wonderful pictures of a mossy landscape. To me it looks like something out of a fairy tale. The little bird was just adorable:)

wenn said...

lovely! what are those? Are they fruits?

Steve Borichevsky said...

Wonderful Kinlglet and the green is so...well...green!

Julie the Army Wife said...

Beautiful pictures :)

Manang Kim said...

Stunning pictures so love it. I like to ask, in the last photo what is that?


Frozen delight

Tammie Lee said...

Love the mossy stuff.
Mushrooms always charm me
and
that little frown is an awesome capture.

Kiki said...

Woah! Super gorgeous shots! Wickedly beautiful!
Kiki~

wncmountainliving said...

Such lush green photos - our world in stark and white right now!