Sunday, January 17, 2010

Stink Net Fungus?


I was told this crazy looking organism is called a stink net mushroom. But after looking online, I can't find much of anything, including photos, of a 'stink net' fungus. Hmm? Whatever it is, it's pretty fancy pants. I would not have seen it had I not dropped the cap of our citronella bugbegone spray. I had to crawl ten feet down a very thickly covered little hill. The cap landed right next to this awesome fungus.
I grabbed the macro and took a few shots - not many because I was surrounded by spiderwebs and crouching in tall grass with shorts on (at that point, I had about 70 chigger bites) so, well, you get the point. The mushroom smelled like a dead animal and the net around it was sticky, which I guess can trap insects and stuff. It was a pretty good size also, roughly 8 inches high, 8 inches wide. Very cool.
This was taken at Asa Wright in Trinidad couple weeks ago. Love this fungus, hand down the coolest I've ever seen! Check out Macro Monday for more up close and personal photos.

20 comments:

Teresa said...

Definitely very cool! The fly lends a more fungus type feel too. Nice pics.

Me and my puppies said...

What an awesome fungus! I have not seen anything like it. Sorry about the chigger bites ~ itch like a 20 of a scale of 10.

awarewriter said...

Great shots (and dedication). Bet you're glad you landed next to and not on that fungus.

Manang Kim said...

My first time to see a net kind of mushroom. Love your shots here. Thanks for sharing!

MM:CenterpieceFalls

Christina. Sweden said...

Cool photos iof a very strange fungus. Never seen anything like that. Great colors. lucky that you dropped the piece right there!
Thanks for showing

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Johnny: It is a very special fungus and has an intricate shape.

Jama said...

What a cool find!

Müge said...

Fantastic creature! The world of fungi is really fascinating, isn't it? Thank you for this beautiful post and have a delightful new week!

Kitty said...

I think it's maybe a long net stinkhorn - I remember seeing a timelapse video of one growing last semester. It's a freakish looking thing!

Gena @ Thinking Aloud said...

Hi Jill!
what an amazing post and great macros ... always great to learn about new things, never heard of this fascinating fungus before ....
happy monday!!!
Gena @ Thinking Aloud
a photoblog
South Africa

maiaT said...

The coolest I've ever seen too. Gorgeous macros, this was worth the 70 bites. No wonder you didn't find much info about, never seen something like this.

foto CHIP said...

This stinky one is really a beauty :) through your lense - wonderful work!

Birgitta said...

Excellent shots of this very special mushroom!

Jay said...

Yes, it looks like one of the veiled stinkhorns! You're brave getting that close to take pictures, let alone risking bites!

It's a wonderful image. What a fascinating thing - I've never seen anything quite like it.

Your EG Tour Guide said...

I love it when someone quite by accident finds something this wonderful to photograph! What a find!

Michael said...

Yes it does look something like a crinoline stinkhorn/veiled lady. Though the veil is white on the pics I saw. Phallus indusiatus.
Great picture.

Helena said...

That is seriously cool! Great find. :)

lisaschaos said...

Most unique fungus I've ever seen! Beautiful captures of it too!

John W. Wall said...

We don't have anything that cool back here in California, but check out http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Clathrus_ruber.html

Johnny Nutcase said...

thanks everyone! I love this fungus!
and thanks for the info, Michael, Jay and Kitty. John, that's a good one - i'll have to keep an eye for it!