Monday, January 25, 2010

This Thing



I found this a couple years ago when I was working on Padre Island National Seashore (not my favorite place in the world). It was buried pretty deep in the sargassum seaweed. I can't seem to figure out what it is. Guessing something cetacean oriented, maybe inner ear related. But..I dunno. Pictures online didn't really mesh with that idea too well. One day I'll find out. I should bring it into the marine department at HSU here. Yes, that's what i should do.


11 comments:

ramblingwoods said...

That is really interesting looking and who doesn't love an ID puzzle.. great macros..Michelle

Maria said...

Great pictures!
Have a nice day!

Dan said...

Very intriguing! Will you let us know if you manage to solve the mystery?

Birgitta said...

Interesting and great macro shots!

qehenne said...

Stylish image. Fun shapes on it that you found in the sea. Exciting if you can figure out what this is.

@nemonen said...

Great macro and very interesting too.

"Lillagul" said...

Hi !
What a interesting history about the photo :)
Hope you find out some day what it is!
Very beutiful picture!

Pialotta said...

Interesting history and great pictures-)

dutchbaby said...

Beautiful photos; they look a lot like Chinese lotus pods that we use in flower arrangements:

http://www.theflowermart.com/cart.asp?whichpage=&mode=price&category=Cones%20and%20Pods&item=350

Maria said...

Great picture and very interesting (:

Carolyn Ford said...

Interesting and a big creepy too...I hope you find out what it is and especially, what it does! Great macro!