Thursday, January 21, 2010

Trinidad and Tobago Day 3: Part 1


I'm breaking day 3 up into two entries - too many pictures, not many words. 'll save the birds for the second post. I was up way before 0600 again today and had to coerce Zac outta his sleepy time. We spent a good while on the veranda. Such a peaceful little spot. Here's a couple pictures of us bright and really early in the morning.

We stayed at Asa Wright today and hiked pretty much all of the trails. We saw more manakins this morning, a few antshrikes, flycatchers, and a ton more stuff (at some point, I'll put up a total species list) and the veiled lady type fungus that I posted about a few days ago. Lots of good flowers on the trails also.


We saw a good amount of cocoa growing on the trees. The 'fresh' stuff was a really pretty maroon color, very shiny too. We passed a little waterfall and saw a lot more Tegu lizards.



We came back for lunch, stuffed our faces, and then lounged on the porch for a good amount of time. Mmm, pina colada! Afterwards, checked out some more trails where we flushed a Little Tinamou and saw a ton of agoudis. I'm so glad I made better use of the macro lens this trip. We brought it to Costa Rica last year, but since we were most of the time and had all of our stuff with us always, it kinda got put on the backburner and pushed to the bottom of the pack. Glad it got some attention this trip!




After dinner (again, yum!), we went for a night hike where we saw up to 30 land crabs. That was pretty cool, all but one of them were hanging outside their little holes. There was a huge one hanging out in some water, but that picture didn't turn out so well. We saw a tiny little frog (about the size of my thumbnail) and on the way back to our room, a small tarantula under our step- smallest tarantula I've ever seen!



12 comments:

Michael said...

Sounds like a way full day even without the birds. Super macros. I love the little frog. :)

Manang Kim said...

Oh I love your pictures reminds me of the Philippines where I come from.


MYM:Recycling

Dinah said...

these are really nice pictures! i am sure you had such a blast!

here is my mellow yellow Monday entry

vivapinay said...

Really nice photos! You're a real pro!

Visit my MYM here

Carolyn Ford said...

How beautiful! The flowers and foliage is so thick and green...We love to hike in the Hawaiian Islands. I would love to venture to the islands of the Caribbean some day in the not too distant future.

Ebie said...

the details of your photos are excellent!

James said...

The plants and wildlife are amazing. Great pictures!

Hootin' Anni said...

Love the two yellow hibiscus best. Of course they're one of my favorite flowers.

My Wednesday post..."Alligators in the Sewer?" is published...come see if you have a bit of time today. I'd love your visit.
HERE

Kathy said...

Fabulous phots!
Kathy

Debbie said...

I felt like I was there with those beautiful photo's you captured!~

Kitty said...

The flowers are on a complete other plane, compared to the ones in the UK! They're awesome! And that agouti looks very strokable :)

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Very nice. That Hibiscus is very interesting.