Monday, February 22, 2010

Alien Grebes, Otter Tracks, and a Lamp


The sun! It came out pretty much all day yesterday! Pleasant surprise, I'll say. We went to Hookton Slough, Humboldt Bay NWR, and the South Spit to see what was up. Just before it got dark, we went headed to the marsh. Not a whole lot happening bird wise, this western grebe decided to have his picture taken before he took a dive. I walked out on the boat ramp and he popped up about a foot from me - we were both surprised! The willet, below, strolled the shore and then snagged a crab. ( I gotta say, the blue water makes for a much prettier background than the mudflats) My World Tuesday and Watery Wednesday
While trying to sneak up on an osprey at the spit (didn't work...he flushed before I even thought about taking his picture!), We found these cute little running otter tracks in the sand. By the way, the tide was sooo low, I've never seen it that low. So, instead of the osprey photo, I got one of the peeps foraging.
Later, at the marsh, it was kind of getting dark-ish (plus I forgot the flash for the big lens) so I took some flower shots instead of birds. The sunset and clouds were really pretty, but the marsh is surrounding by manmade stuff like power lines that I don't really care for so much, so getting landscape shots is not too easy. I did get a few (another post) that came out all right.
Nifty clouds over the bay. Today would have been a great kayak day...had high tide been at a better time! Speaking of manmade stuff, I actually like this photo below. The sky was textbook midnight blue, a few minutes after sunset and this lamp post had just turned on. Made for a cool look, I love that blue!

41 comments:

dawn said...

Your photos are stunning! But I have to admit I am fascinated by the lamp.
Beautiful!

Riet said...

Such beautiful pictures.I love them

Stine in Ontario said...

Love your bird photos and can't wait for the bird migration back to Canada!

Sylvia K said...

Gorgeous photos, Jill, as always! Love the birds! I, too, am fascinated by the lamp! Lovely! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jill: What a wonderful look at the neat birds and other photos. Please add a link back to the My World site so people can see other worlds.

Eve said...

We've had some pleasantly warm weather here too. It's nice to see the sun again.

I love your series of birds - and that lantern photo is so pretty - that blue is just perfect!

Johnny Nutcase said...

oops! thought I had it on there already, FishingGuy! Fixed it :)

foto CHIP said...

The birds are awesome and the lamp has so wonderful colors!!!!
:)

Snap said...

Great. Love the foot prints, the lamp, the birds ... all! (Alien Grebes!!!!!)

ewok1993 said...

you are a master at nature photography. we had rain all day here in sf bay area, but we have sun today, yay!

Starnitesky said...

Lovely set of photos.

Michael said...

Great pics. Love the otter tracks. I never get to see those guys. I've heard them chittering away but it is always pitch black by then.

Shady Gardener said...

Great photos - you spent an enjoyable day outdoors (was it only one day?)! Love that last photo too. The blue seems velvety soft. :-)

Kala said...

Wonderful shots. I especially like the *footprints* in the sand!

Wren said...

I love them all. The lamp is great, and the otter tracks, and all the rest.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Awsome grebe and shore birds. Yes the blue does make an wonderful backdrop.

Vicki ~ FL said...

Beautiful photos...love the otter tracks. BTW, thanks for stopping by.

Martha's Menagerie said...

Gorgeous photos! I like the little bird feet in the sand the best - so cute! :-)

SandyCarlson said...

Oh, wow, these are wonderful. Your photos are really beautiful.

Ali said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your photos are wonderful, I just love the otter tracks, thats so cute =)

Sistertex said...

Really nice, and what a dramatic sky! The birds are beautiful.

Kathiesbirds said...

What a nice view of your world. Love the birds and the last photo of the lamp and the blue sky!

Evelyn Howard said...

Lovely photos Jill.

NatureFootstep said...

nice grebe you have there. If dffers a lot from ours, but ysu can still see it is the same species. :)

There is not much to see over here now, not much birds as we are drowning in snow. :(

LadyFi said...

The birds, the blue sky, the sunset and lamp... I love them all.

Louise said...

What a lovely series of photos. I particularly like the otter tracks. Animal tracks always make me excited that I'm about to come face to face with a little someone!

Pat said...

Great shots of the ospreys! I love the footprints in the sand--they are so clear.

RuneE said...

A pleasure to watch - you do know the way with bird photography!

wncmountainliving said...

Great shots of the birds...really like the last lamp post shot.

J Bar said...

Lots of great shots there.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Spiderdama said...

Great shots as always!:-)

Bestemor Drillo said...

Beautiful pictures!

Mona Sweden said...

Excellent and beautiful photos of the birds. I love those tracks in the sand. The last photo with the midnight blue sky is stunning!

Müge said...

I'm glad you had a nice day. All of your photos are great but my favourite in this post is the night shot with the lamp! The tracks of the birds are very sweet!

Kitty said...

You didn't do so badly for birds! And the otter tracks are a really neat bonus. I love the crab catching shot - although having met a tame crab last week, I do feel rather sorry for it!

Maria said...

Stunning photos, I love it:)

Hootin' Anni said...

You rock!!! Every time I try and get the sea birds around here [other than the multitudes of gulls]....they fly away. LOL

Mine today is OCEAN SPRAY Do come visit me if you can find time. :o)

jason said...

Gorgeous shots, Jill! I especially like the grebe and the otter tracks, but honestly they're all beautiful. And I appreciate your landscape image struggle with trying to keep the clutter out of the frame; that sounds all too familiar.

Randi Måhl said...

Lovely and inspiring photos - as always!

gengen said...

Beautiful pictures for watery Wednesday...Mine is up..

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful birds, love the alien Grebe!