Friday, February 12, 2010

Frozen Fingers


These little friends are from the backyard and Radnor Lake (TN). I went to Radnor today, despite the fact that it was so grey and so cold outside. I thought I could handle it. Really, I barely could.
(White-breasted Nuthatch above- they make the sweetest little vocalizations; Ruby-crowned Kinglet below)
(Canada/hybrid goose below)

I got to a spot where there was a fair amount of bird happenings and hung around for a while, but after about 15 minutes, I completely lost the feeling in my hands and I just didn't have the ability to take a swell photo. I had to struggle greatly with putting the lens cap on and off, so I figured it was time to skeeeedaddle. Yup, so that's what I did. I saw a ton of deer on the hike back but I was just too cold to wait around for a good photo-op. There were a few pretty young deer and they were SO fuzzy and SO cute, I wanted to put them in my pocket. Too cute for words. I ran into a few kids working with Americorp and tried to talk to one of the guys for a minute, but my face was so frozen I couldn't even form coherent words (seriously). I'm such a wimp...
(Carolina Chickadee above; Downy Woodpecker below)



(Eastern Bluebird below)

(Carolina Wren below)

(Song Sparrow below)

Oh! I had a Red-headed Woodpecker, a Downy, and the Kinglet each land about a foot away from my head. That was fancy! My reaction time was lame and they were way too close to focus on for photos, but I got some awesome looks at them. It took them all a while to realize my frozen head was a person and not a perch :) My World and Nature Notes

19 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

You saw and captured quite a bit. I had to get to the feed store for bird feeder supplies...It has been a busy season for bird feeding...Michelle

Carver said...

What a great post and wonderful shots of the beautiful birds.

Babooshka said...

Those are such wonderful captures of very beautiful birds.

Sylvia K said...

What a fabulous post, Jill! The birds are so beautiful and your photos are fantastic! Have a great week!

Sylvia

Louise said...

That was a great day! And what lovely little fellas. I particularly like the fluffed-up little wren. Greetings from Italy via MyWorld!

Stine in Ontario said...

Wonderful photos! I MUST find some great birding spots around here. It looks like so much fun!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jill: Love your captures in the wild of the animals.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

these were so beautiful I have never seen a beak like that first one:) how cool- i love that blue color it is so fresh

lv2scpbk said...

Beautiful birds for My World meme.

Sistertex said...

Much the same as the birds I get here in MN, though some won't be back to the feeder until spring. Lovely photos of them, great job!

Carolyn Ford said...

Such beautiful little creatures! Your photographs are always so impressive! What fun times it must be searching for different birds and, actually finding them where you can get great shots!

Denise said...

Hi Jill, such a great collection of photos. Loved them all.

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leora said...

Such wonderful captures. Sweet birds. Love your description of the ones that got away from the camera but got your attention.

eileeninmd said...

Great birds and photo, Jill!

A piece of news said...

I like the woodpecker and the bluebird. Fantastic!

Stine in Ontario said...

I'm back again, Jill, as I just discovered you posted this for Nature Notes. :)

My Nature Notes post is here:
http://coloringwithlight24.blogspot.com/2010/02/purple-finch-nature-notes.html

Glennis said...

lovely collection of pretty wee birds you did well to capture them all so well.

MyMaracas said...

It looks to me like you had quite a productive outing. Lovely photos!