Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Trinidad and Tobago Day 10: Part II: Rufous-tailed Jacamars


Rufous-tailed Jacamars! This was a life bird for both of us- I think we ended up seeing 5 total? These photos are from three different birds in the same day. We got some awesome looks at them and even got to see some courtship behavior. I got the picture of the male feeding the female just in time; they separated right afterwards.

I'm pleased with the way most of these came out. They ended up being a lot sharper than I expected them to be. All the birds were pretty high up on branches so I was shooting straight up a lot. I raised the monopod as high as it would go and hoped for the best. There was actually a jacamar about 4 inches off the ground at one point but it flushed really quickly.

Anyway, I love these birds! They're an insects worse nightmare though. We watched them catch and eat a few bugs before they disappeared. Glad they let us hang out with them for a few minutes!



18 comments:

Grace and Bradley said...

You have done well, they do look very sharp. They are really beautiful bird.

Kala said...

Great series of shots - and what an interesting name for a bird!

Mark Kreider said...

Excellent avian photography! Birds have so much character don't they. I've never seen photos nor heard of the honey creeper before so that post was an eye opener. This is such a beautiful blog... my one wish would be that the photos could enlarge more so one could bathe in the beauty of your shots and inspect your subjects more closely, they are worthy of it! Nice work!

ramblingwoods said...

These are wonderful..I love seeing courtship behavior..well in most creatures anyway.. The more I see of that, the more similarities I see between human and animal courtship minus the black widow being able to eat her mate afterwards..it would save on divorce costs though... What a great trip you had...Michelle

Michael said...

What an extraordinary bird the Rufous-tailed Jacamar is. Thanks for showcasing them.

Al said...

Those are great photos. I've never had much luck with bird photographs, but I'm getting inspired to try.

eileeninmd said...

Jull, great post and photos. They are all beautiful birds.

dutchbaby said...

Congratulations on achieving a co-life-bird! Gorgeous photos. So romantic - feeding insects to your lover.

Carolyn Ford said...

I really like the last photo with the lighter background. It really shows off the detail of the uplifted head and beak...such impressively sharp photos!

Samson said...

Great photo's Jill, crisp and clear and thanks for the info on these wonderful birds

Denise said...

How beautiful! Wonderful bird images.

Martha's Menagerie said...

Excellent captures! Beautiful little birds with dangerous looking big beaks!

B : ) said...

How very very beautiful! thanks for sharing.

mick said...

Great photos. It's never easy getting photos when the birds are high above. The ones with the bugs are especially good.

Neil said...

Great photos well done.

Bob Kaufman said...

Lovely, lovely photos of the Jacamars. I know how difficult it is to photograph birds in the tropics (tto dark, too high, etc) :-)

Rob Ripma said...

Beautiful birds and fantastic photos!

HANNIBAL said...

Ooooh! I love Jacamars! That irridescence....Wow! Excellent shots, and so many great ones! Wow!