Sunday, February 7, 2010

Trinidad and Tobago Day 10: Part IV: Blue-crowned Motmot


And here's the lovely Blue-crowned Motmot. Happy I finally got some decent pictures of these birds, because I never managed to do so in Costa Rica and the beginning of Trinidad and Tobago proved fruitless for good motmot photos. Until this day! I was able to get close enough to get some full frame almost head-shots. Nature Notes
I do wish I had a shot from the back since I love the coloring on their backs, but the bird's still quite the looker. It's so hard to get their whole tail in pictures because half the time it's blocked by vegetation since it's so long.
We saw a lot more motmots in T & T than in Costa Rica. I wish I could find a link to their vocalizations because they sound pretty cool.

14 comments:

Susan said...

Stunning photos of a beautiful bird. Well done!

NatureFootstep said...

this is truly a beautiful bird. So many fine details like the heads coloring, teh single feather on teh chest and the shape of the tail. :)

Rambling Woods said...

I think if I went out birding that I would drive myself nuts trying to find stuff with the bins. I am so bad at it...I told my husband that I want night vision goggles to look for the flying squirrels at the feeders at night. He thought that was odd... Beautifully colored bird.. Michelle

Anne Fannie said...

What a beautiful bird. Your photos are great!
Happy Blue Monday..
Ann

Coffeedoff said...

Beautiful!

Beansieleigh said...

Oh, I LOVE birds, and this one is a beauty! Happy Blue Monday! ~tina

LV said...

Those are such pretty birds. Of course, in your part of the world, there is plenty lovely sights and birds to see.

Pie said...

It's gorgeous! The colors are so vivid. Happy Blue Monday!

Mine is here.

Marice said...

that bird is really cute :) thanks for sharing!

u may view mine here

Natural Moments said...

The contrast in the colours of this bird is wondrous.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jill: Great colors and one funky tail. It must be a sight as it flies.

HANNIBAL said...

It also seems that these guys have an "orangier(?)coloring than the CR guys I found! Love these guys! And their sound is sooo cool! These shots are fantastic!

Rambling Woods said...

Is that tail used to attract a female because it looks like a bird I have seen on a nature program that did an elaborate dance using its tail....Michelle

Squirrel said...

Wonderful shots of a beautiful bird.