Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Alder Point


On Saturday we went to southern Humboldt for most of the day. It's about an hour and 45 minute drive, on some crazy pot-holed curvy roads (yikes!), but it was worth it. There's an old railroad track that you can walk on for a good stretch, so that's what we did. It was a gorgeous day, sunny and 72 or so (it never gets that warm where we are in the north part of the county) and the tracks go along the river. Really pretty spot, and a lot different than northern Humboldt too. Nice change of pace.
Tons of wildflowers were blooming, including lupines, sweet peas, and a bunch of stuff I don't know. There were a LOT of irises also, feral flowers?
The fennel was starting to come out too, man that stuff smells soooo good- definitely one of my favorites.
Not much bird-wise other than a huge amount of orange-crowned warblers establishing territories so they were singing their little hearts out. Couldn't manage to get a good picture though, they were all blocked by vegetation.

The tracks were looking pretty rough and there were a couple spots we had to work to maneuver around. I should have taken a picture of some of these areas, totally sketchy looking. The tracks hit an old bridge about two miles in. We would have liked to keep going but it was getting late and the bridge didn't seem completely trustworthy. I'm sure it was fine, but I got about half way across and there was a loud creak and the part i was stepping on sank an inch so I decided I'd turn around. I don't mind heights one bit if I'm roped in, but otherwise I get a little wimpy.
I took a bunch of bridge photos that I'll put in another post, but here's a couple for now. The sun was so bright and a little too harsh for great photos but I'm just happy it was sunny and warm all day! Outdoor Wednesday

28 comments:

Woody said...

This looks like an amazing place! The wildflowers are beautiful, but that train bridge looks really cool.

EG Wow said...

I enjoy walking along old tracks. It brings back happy childhood memories. The tracks near me are still in use, which means I have to pay at least a little attention when I get lost in photographing the flora and fauna.

I think you were wise not to cross the bridge.

Clytie said...

What a beautiful series of photos. I couldn't have resisted those wonderful train tracks either. And I probably would have avoided the bridge as well. Thank you for sharing your hike!

RuneE said...

My father was a railwayman, so maybe that is why I'm fascinated with old railways. Thank you for showing glimpses from what must have been a marvellous tour.

veredit said...

What a wonderful place, it looks like a fantastic day!

NatureFootstep said...

that green grass looks amazing :) And that old bridge too.

Icy BC said...

Gorgeous photos for an amazing place. I love the shot of the railroad in the first picture.

Kala said...

So many beautiful images - looks to be a fabulous place to spend the day.

Carolyn Ford said...

I would LOVE to walk on those old train tracks! What beautiful scenery to match the fascination with the tracks...those flowers...WOW! It must have been a very beautiful day to be out and about exploring.

Marka said...

I really like the views and the wildflowers.

Pam @ Design Fanatic said...

Beautiful! I love the shots of the bridges & the flowers.

Allison Shops said...

Lovely flowers. I was just talking to someone today and saying how much I love hearing trains. Neat bridge.

I hope you'll drop by AtticMag to see the butterflies I found. #8 on Outdoor Wednesday.

Allison

xinex said...

Beautiful photos! I don't know why but I like taking pictures of bridges too.....Christine

Joyce said...

Interesting shots. Love the wildflowers.
Joyce

Grace and Bradley said...

What a lovely walk and love your close-up shots of the flowers. Thanks for sharing!

sherri@lavenderfields said...

Beautiful pictures! I especially like the ones of the wild flowers! Such amazing colours! Happy Outdoor Wednesday! Have a great Easter!

Patriotic Mom said...

What a nice place to be! Beautiful especially through the eye of a lens...Happy Easter, Joan

Natasha said...

I really love the pictures of the beautiful foliage but the bridges really caught my attention. I just love those old-fashioned bridges in the US.

Best wishes,
Natasha (& Stacey & Holly).

Pam said...

Jill, your shots were so wonderful I fell right into the beautiful scenery. Thanks for the great journey!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Great shots! I too would have explored and walked along the tracks. I love fennel - looks pretty, smells and tastes great too! What a shame you could not explore the bridge any further. I love bridges and look forward to your next post.

~ Tracy

Ann said...

I truly love old bridges. The shots of the paths and wildflowers are beautiful. What a lovely day to take a walk.

Victoria said...

Wow, those photo's are breathtaking, you're so talented!

Jay said...

Goodness, what a beautiful walk! But wimpy? I don't think it's in the least bit wimpy to freak out when a section of ancient bridge drops out from under you! I call it sensible! LOL!

Carver said...

What a beautiful place to walk. So much in bloom and great scenery. I've walked on an old railroad bridge in the TN mountains when I was younger and was amazed I made it to the other side. It was rotten and abandoned but we were young enough to be fearless or stupid one, ha.

lisaschaos said...

Wildflowers are simply awesome! I love that railroad track and I would want to follow it for miles, obviously it's safe with all that green stuff there. :)

Spiderdama said...

What a great nature and lovely pictures! Would love to be there

Kerri said...

Lovely shots....those wildflowers are AWESOME!!

Brenda's Arizona said...

What a great photo essay of an area so beautiful. The tracks certainly are beckoning. And the wild flowers are super!