Monday, March 15, 2010

Frogs. Seals. Albino Reds.


Good stuff this weekend. My friend Angela was in town and she graced the area with some superb weather the past two days. We checked out the albino redwood, which took us a while to find this time. It doesn't look like it's doing as hot as it once was. The last time we saw it was in October - it seemed to be doing pretty well then, but yesterday there were many, many brown needles at the bottom. The top still looked in decent shape, however. My World Tuesday, Scenic Sunday
We went to Luffenholz (however it's spelled, something close to that) Beach later in the day. Man, that beach has changed so much since the last time we were there! The creek mouth had widened to an extreme extent. It wasn't even that long ago that we were there, crazy.
Today was another beautiful day, so we headed out to to the Mad River mouth via the beach. Luckily no one else had the same idea, so we had the entire beach to ourselves, excellent!
There were about 40 seals sunning themselves and Angela and I snuck up on them and managed to get fairly close. Of course I forgot the monopod mount and so I had to do the handheld thing...which means these photographs are no where near as sharp as I want them be. Either way though, the seals were awesome and they allowed us to approach them without getting too weirded out by out human-ness.
We saw two or three (one of them might have been the same individual) treefrogs along the trail. I'm always a fan of them. And for once they posed for photos...this never happens! I was happy about that. We also saw a good handful of tadpoles in the giant puddles in the area. I have more pictures of the frogs that I'll probably put up in another post.
Lots of flowers blooming, including wild strawberry and whatever type of morning glory flowers these are below.
This wrentit below stopped for a split second before he hurried off into the thick of the vegetation. And the deer in the redwoods were looking awfully cute standing on a gigantic downed tree. I didn't have the zoom lens on me (rarely need it in the redwoods) so I took that with the 50mm. Still a pretty cute pose he's got going. Drenched sorrel after that -again! no banana slugs!? Also, if you have the time, read this article please...about 'wildlife' photographers hiring out animals for photographs. If that's not bad enough, they are inhumanely treated and just plain used. It's pretty messed up stuff.

31 comments:

Rafael said...

awsome series of photos, you are a great photographer! :-D

Woody said...

I think it's pretty amazing you can see that range of subjects in a single day. A Redwood forest with frogs and deer as well as a beach with seals. I can't think of a better way to spend a day.

I read the article and I agree on your assessment of rent-an-animal. What's next, they bring the animals to your home complete with the environment, so you can shoot from your backyard?

NicoleB said...

This is one happy post!
I totally love frogs :)
I think they have amazing face expressions ;)
Love the seals and the flowers too.
So lucky for you guys to have the beach to yourselves :D!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jill: What a neat post with some really special shots. I love the deer on the tree and all the seals. Congrats on being #1 again.

Sylvia K said...

Fabulous shots as always, Jill! And what a wonderful way to enjoy spring! And, yes, it is a happy post! You can't look at some of the birds and animals without smiling and/or laughing out loud! Have a great week!

Sylvia

Clytie said...

Beautiful series. I love your work.

Randi said...

Your world i like a Paradise - I love your photos! Always!!!

Martha Z said...

What a wonderful day in the coastal redwoods, thanks for taking us along.
As for the captive animal models I don't know what to think. Personally, I would much rather photograph one in the wild, there seems to be no point to photographing a captive. I dislike most zoos as the animals are kept restricted in a territory that would be much to small for them in the wild.

elvira pajarola said...

These magnificient Seals are really awesome and I just love their curiuos looks.....FANTASTIC!!

WONDERFUL BEACH SCENE.....WOAAOOW!!!

These "bluish" flowers are in my woods too....fabulous!!!!
ciao ciao elvira

Marites said...

awesome! i just love this series of photos. I especially like the frog and the seals :)

Larry said...

Great set of photos Jill. The seals are exceptionally fun.

I must be naive but I didn't know about the rent-an-animal business. I knew there were animals used for movies and stuff but never imagined that respected organizations like Defenders of Wildlife used these fake photographs for their publications.

I will follow the advice at the end of the article and write a letter asking for details of any film or photo I think is too good to be true.

Thanks for the heads up on this. It's pretty sad to say the least.

Vicky said...

Even without the monopod the photos are great!!!!

eileeninmd said...

Jill, the seals are so cute! Wonderful photos, love the deer too.

Sistertex said...

Wonderful post with so many beautiful photos I am at a loss as to which one I like best. The Macro of the leaf was really very nice. Thanks so much for sharing your world!

Julie said...

Wonderful Pictures...
xoxo
Julie

Light and Voices said...

Perfect photos! I'm impressed!
Joyce M

Ann said...

Beautiful photos...just awe-inspiring. Thank you for posting and sharing them.

Tina said...

great photos fro outdoor wednesday!
northern cal has such a great assortment of flora and fauna to photograph..just strikes me as bizarre to "hire" an animal to 'pose' for a photo!

mbkatc230 said...

Gorgeous series of photos. Those tree frogs just make me smile! And the seals, how neat that you were able to get that close. Thanks for sharing, these are beautiful. Kathy

Ms. Bake-it said...

What a fabulous series of photos! I just love the seals! What a fabulous day you must have had in the Redwood forest.

I agree with your assessment of the article. I do not like that any more than I like the idea of rent-a-pet.

~ Tracy

TheSmithHotel said...

Great pictures! I live in Redding, CA and love going over to the coast! I didn't know that there was an albino redwood! My son will love to see these pictures!

Jody

♥ Kathy said...

I love the frogs & the deer! I hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day and Outdoor Wednesday :)

Samson said...

Great set of nature photo's Jill... lovely post

Jane said...

Wonderful set of images Jill, lovely colours. Thanks for sharing, the Calafornia coast looks very wild but interesting:)

Mona Sweden said...

These are awesome photos! The seals are so cute. How wonderful to be able to get so close. And I love the first one of the frog.

Jenn said...

Great set of photos! Can't decide which one's my favorite. Love the close up frog but am really fascinated with the seals too. Looks like a great fun day for you.

Randi said...

Wonderful sequence of amazing shots. I love your photos!!!

Vicki said...

I love your frog!

nice A said...

Such awesome set of photos you have shared! love those lots of seals in particular.

Tricia @ Bluff Area Daily said...

wonderful series of photos - I love the purple flowers & lush green!

Kirigalpoththa said...

Lovely photos!

http://kirigalpoththa.blogspot.com/2010/04/found-him.html