Monday, March 1, 2010

Plovers, Peregrine, and a Snake


Whaaaat? Three rain-less days in a row? Very nice! Mind you, no rain does not mean sun, but that's okay. I'll take a cloudy day with no rain. We made the rounds today. Went to the mouth of the Mad River, Clam Beach, The Bottoms, and the marsh.

It's important to note that half of this drive was done with Zac's binoculars on top of the car. This is not the first time this has happened, though it's been a while. I was horrified by this revelation....we had driven 65 mph on Hwy 101 for about 12 miles, made various stops in town and they were still on there. ACK! Not good. At least they were still there.

Anyway. We saw tons of good stuff today - starting with roughly 60 seals at the Mad River mouth (picture in next post). Unfortunately, the water was so high we couldn't get over there, but that's okay. They were all soaking up the...well, there was no sun, they were just lounging. Also saw the San Francisco Garter Snake (I'm guessing that's the kind we kept seeing yesterday). We saw one otter at the marsh and two short-eared owls at the bottoms. Tons of wildlife today, excellent!

There was a Peregrine Falcon getting mobbed by some crows and a raven and he ended up landing right above our heads. Not in an ideal spot for a photo, but I ran up the little hill like a crazy person and he didn't flush, so here's the picture I got.
I got a fair amount of photos from today, so I'm breaking it up into two entries. At Clam Beach, we saw the Snowy Plovers; we counted 23. Don't quote me on this, but it's possible they are one of the cutest birds in the world (but the Piping beats 'em still). They're so damn tiny...i ended up getting quite close (man, I'm so sly) but these are cropped a little bit because of their minute size. Uh...this first one? With the squinched eyes? Come on! So cute it hurts me. Outdoor Wednesday and Nature Notes. Thursday Challenge : high or low - ground level snake and plovers; peregrine straight above.
Last for this post is the Great Egret from the marsh.

20 comments:

Neil said...

great photos!

NatureFootstep said...

I would not mind some rainy days. It would wash the large amount of snow away. Sun is shining today but it is -8deg C outside.

Love the snake image. It is a little beauty. And so are the Plover :)

Kathiesbirds said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! I love the plovers!

eileeninmd said...

Love those cute little Plovers.

Lori E said...

I almost shrieked at the snake. I have to admit I quickly scrolled down to the bottom of the post to make sure I didn't see another and I still have shivers up my spine.

Lenore said...

What beautiful wildlife photos....especially love the egret.
Wow, you were lucky that those binoculars were still on the roof.....hubby has done that with his coffee cup many times.

Marsha's Mpressions said...

Wonderful photos! Love the egret!

Ebie said...

Snakes! Eeek, I am scared of snakes. But you captured it well!

You have quite a collection of bird shots and love the plovers!

KayC. said...

The Plovers' photos are so cute...I wasn't to sure about your post when I saw the snake at first (not a big fan of snakes). But I am a fan of birds and you have some great photos of them.

Ann Creek said...

I'm like everyone else the Plovers are so cute....The binoculars, I to would have been freeking out when I saw them.
Happy Wednesday.
Ann

jason said...

I'm in awe of the snake. But the plover tickles me most with that cute little face. Beautiful shots!

And I'm glad the binoculars survived their trip on top of the car. Lucky...

Ms. Bake-it said...

I love your new header! What fantastic luck the binoculars were still on the roof! Great shots! The plovers are too cute. I especially love the shot of the egret.

~ Tracy

Cozy Little House said...

Oh, I'm so jealous of all you got to see! Wish I'd been there.
Brenda

Carver said...

What a great post. I love your header. Also wonderful shots of the birds and snake in this post and your narrative is such fun to read.

Sistertex said...

OH...snakes are just not for me!!
Beautiful photos though...regardless of one of your serpentine subjects.

elvira pajarola said...

Cara Jill.......I am a little behind of following......but looking this evening at all the posts of you I missed: it's better than any Sherlock Holmes book...!!!(...and I really love them...!)

FANTASTIC.....just a wonderful trip through an amazing animal and nature world!!!!!!!!
COMPLIMENTS!!!!!!
ciao ciao elvira

p.s. thank's so much for your always so lovely comments...!

Manang Kim said...

Ekkkkkkkk, a snake??? How do you get this close??? Great shot!!

Castle Rock

Stine in Ontario said...

Isn't it wonderful when rain finally stops after a few days? I feel the same way about grey skies. At long last the skies here are blue. Lovely photos!

Helena said...

I'm so happy for you that you finally got some days without rain! Great shots as always. I really love your bird photos, but you can keep the snake. :)

Andree said...

I have really enjoyed looking at your photographs. They are wonderful.