Friday, May 21, 2010

Dear Tornadoes, leave me alone.

~3000 miles. Through snow, sleet, torrential downpours for a straight 10 hours, tornadoes, 65 mph winds, an awesome rainbow and some sun too. We made it to the new place in m.i.s.s.i.s.s.i.p.p.i.

In east Texas yesterday, there were some of the scariest storm clouds I've encountered. Ever. I was pretty sure we were going to die because the clouds directly above us were swirling into what appeared to be a tornado. It was bloody horrifying. I've been through, seen, and heard tornadoes in the past and this was scarier than any of those times. I had the camera set on video and was pretty sure I was about to get a torando forming on video. Luckily, a funnel cloud did not decide to destroy us but those 10 minutes are up there (next to one of the mountain lion encounters) on my 'I almost shat myself' moments.

Speaking of tornadoes, we got stuck in the lame city of Jackson, MS last night because of them. Otherwise, we would have gotten here sooner. Anyway...

Thanks to my parent's scouting, we already have a place to move into in a few months and when the rain finally stopped today, we were able to unpack the truck and unload our crap into the storage unit.

I have a few photos from Nevada (hot damn, I do love that state) but we no longer have a computer of our own and that kind of sucks. So it might be a while til I get to those.

We're still in MS, we left the North Coast Monday at noon so we made pretty good time. If we weren't on a time crunch and didn't have a moving truck with us, obviously we would have been playing along the way. No cigar. But I'll get to do that in September.

We're headed to Nashville tomorrow and then fly back out to Truckee, CA on Tuesday for a few months. There's still feet of snow there. That scares me. Despite the rain here, I do love the HEAT! Give me warmth or give me...I dunno, not death, but maybe hibernation?

10 comments:

Dario Ferrari Photos said...

I can immagine how you felt...yuo're right to change home!

have a lovely weekend...maybe with sun!

Bye
Dario

Carolyn Ford said...

We were in Amarillo, Texas driving west on the Interstate and ran into a storm like that. Truckers pulled off the highway and cars, too. We went into a Howard Johnson hotel there and watched those clouds just roll over the area. Thankfully no funnel cloud where we were but, there was one a few miles away. I KNOW how you felt...sheer terror! Glad your story came out okay too!

Clytie said...

Ack! Now that's a trip to remember! I've only been through something like that once, and I was too naive to think it could be a tornado. Fortunately it wasn't, and I remained safe. As did you - but wow! what an experience! Can't wait to see pictures!

NatureFootstep said...

seems to be a complicated situation. Just happy though that you made it all right. Despite tornados and all that.

Hop you get a computer soon though. :) See you!

NF

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Wow, what a hair raising adventure you all had, glad that you are safe. Tornadoes frighten me terribly, for we have no basement, but there is a sort of safe place I always go to whenever we get the warnings. Hope things settle down for you for a bit and you enjoy your next adventure...oh and Nashville, so close to my stomping grounds. Take care~

Colleen said...

Scary! I'm glad you made it there in one piece. What a busy summer you have coming up. I look forward to seeing the pictures once you have a computer

Martha Z said...

It sounds like you are missing California already. I have heard that there is still several feet of snow at our cabin. Hiking season may be late this year.

LadyFi said...

Sounds like terrifying weather... hibernation sounds good right about now! ;-)

Carver said...

Wow, what an adventure. I'm glad that you didn't get swept away. I'll send out good thoughts for the rest of your travels to be a little less exciting.

Woody said...

Glad to hear you guys made it safely! I hope you guys get a chance to catch your breath, because it sounds like you've got a lot on your plates!