Thursday, June 17, 2010

Baby Bear. Big Bear. Almost Hypothermia for Zac.


So, more Willow Flycatchers are showing up thankfully, but they seem to still be taking their time. Think nests are starting to be built so that's good.

Last Friday, hiking out of LT2, Zac and I ran into a baby bear! We knew there were bears in the area, thanks to lots of big and little bear tracks in the snow a couple weeks ago and plenty of scat too. But Friday we finally saw one of the little guys. He was awfully cute, can't lie about that. He was all fuzzy and stuff. I had my crappy point and click and we had Zac's scope on us so I took this lovely poor quality video(scope) of said baby bear.

When we first saw him, we were only about 30 meters away - bit too close, yes, but he was hiding behind a tree and we didn't see him. He ran up the tree at one point, which was pretty damn adorable. But he quickly came back down and continued foraging, but kept a good eye on us. We backed up about 100 meters away and observed his cuteness for a few minutes before taking a long detour around..definitely didn't want to run into mom...
Oh, no? But I did run into Mom Bear on Tuesday. Because I'm a little wimpy, I had Zac walk the 10 minutes through the woods to the open meadow with me. I really didn't want to run into the bears solo. Especially mom with baby...yikes. I got down to the meadow, said bye to Zac and told him to turn his radio on. 5 minutes later, I turned a corner and saw Big 'Ol Mama Bear hanging out. Yup. She was way too close to the WIFL territories I was trying to go to, so I promptly turned around. Probably a wise decision. Zac and I went back later in the morning together and didn't see the bears, only some world record black bear scat and lots of tree scratches. Sweet.
All the pictures are from the Taylor site today. I thought I had a rough morning with the deep water and getting pretty wet, but Zac actually fell in where he was (Tallac), up to his chest. He's 6'4 so that's pretty deep water. Really kinda scary, because hypothermia was a serious threat. The temperature this morning was around 29-30 and the water temperature (all snow melt) is probably about the same temp. His radio got drenched and broken so he couldn't contact me. He walked 2 miles barefoot and soaked to a Forest Service office and they gave him some dry clothes. Poor Zac :( Scenic Sunday

19 comments:

Stephanie V said...

Oh, nice little video of Baby Bear. Too bad Zac got soaked. I'm remembering some very cold streams near Banff - that would be darn cold at this time of year. And then hiking barefoot. Oh, my!

Woody said...

Glad to hear Zac is OK, don;t want to mess with hypothermia! Baby bear, how cute, run away, cause mama's just around the corner. Great sequence with the snow capped mountains.

Al said...

I was hiking one time and ran into mommy bear with her two cubs, about 30 feet from me off to one side of the trail. I didn't say hi, and got a single blurry picture.

Janie said...

That was almost too much adventure for one post!
The baby bear video is so cute, but I'm glad you didn't get too close to mom.
The almost-hypothermia incident was scary. Hope that doesn't happen again.

biobabbler said...

wow. What an adventure! of course love the fuzzy bear and SO glad it worked out with Zac (scary!), but also must say I LOVE that 1st pic. Looks like the stream is convex. Feels just like being there (but warmer). Hope you all are nice and toasty now.

Pam said...

Well, you two certainly had quite an amazing and scary adventure, didn't you, Jill. Poor Zac is right, he has a lot of fortitude.
And your no wimp either, Jill. It takes an adventurous heart and courage to go looking for Bears.
Your video is terrific and I love your wonderful shots of the area.
Thanks for letting me look over your shoulder, it was thrilling!

Kate said...

Hi, Jill;
Glad Zach is okay - what an awful trek for him.. 2 miles, barefoot AND freezing. I had to do the same thing this spring - not barefoot. I just slogged along in my squishy hiking boots. :)

How special that you get to experience back country areas such as this. As long as I could keep a safe distance from Mom, I would love to see a baby bear!

LV said...

Thanks for a great variety show today. Loved all you great shots. I am pleased you visited.

SquirrelQueen said...

The video of the little bear is great, he is a cutie. Good idea to steer clear of mom, sows can be a somewhat grouchy when it comes to the little ones.

That was quite an adventure, beautiful photos.

Rosadimaggio63 said...

Meraviglioso !!!!!

Birgitta "foto CHIP" said...

It is very brave of you to be in this wildlife :) The baby bear is very cute :)

http://foto.rudenius.se/post/2010/06/19/Scenic-Sunday-e28093-Shadow-Shot-Sunday.aspx

cat said...

As usual your photos are so great and I love looking at them. And how cute was the bear cub, so cute.

elvira pajarola said...

SUPERFANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

....magnificient countryside and the little bear-trailer a joy!!!!!!

....What an adventure for your Zac....!!!!!!!!

Little frozen...- but -happy end.....!!!

ciao ciao elvira

J Bar said...

Stunning scenery. Too beautiful.

Clytie said...

Wow. Double wow. Triple wow wow wow!

I'm glad everything worked out for Zac!

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Thanks for the video - he's such a cutie pie. Looks like a fluffy sheep. Beautiful scenery with stunning views.
Cheers.
Melbourne Daily Photo

Greyscale Territory said...

What an amazing adventure! Great for memories but maybe not so good at the time - especially for Zac! But that video clip is awesome!

Tammie Lee said...

you two be careful, deep cold waters and bears. It also sounds like you are having wonderful experiences, plus your photos are wonderful.

dutchbaby said...

Yikes! The Mama Bear in me would like to advise you to travel in pairs from now on. I'm so happy that everything worked out for both of you.