Monday, June 7, 2010

Mono Take 1


Zac and I had the weekend off so we decided to spend our time wisely. How? By going down to the Mono Lake area. I've driven by Mono, I dunno, 15 times probably in the past few years but never actually stopped to check it out. It's unclear why I never did. But now that's beyond the point.
I have a bunch of photos (most of them not of the lake, actually - I feel it's a bit overdone in photographs. And the photographers I saw there seemed way too into picture takin' and didn't seem to give a damn about the actual beauty or wildness of the place, so ..hmph). Anyway, I'll just break the photos into different posts.
The Osprey had snagged quite the catch and was being harassed by a California Gull. We watched them for a good 30 minutes. Too bad he wasn't a bit closer but he looks pretty cool with the tufas in the photo too. He and his lady friend were nesting not too far away. There were two Osprey nests also. Nice. Watery Wednesday

16 comments:

Carolyn Ford said...

Mono is such a unique place...so scenic. The sky is never disappointing either. I love the colors and the osprey is such a ham in front of the camera! Love it!

veredit said...

What a wonderful place, I can understand that there is very much like to make a lot of pictures. But you're right, we must not forget to leave the tranquility of nature in our hearts. Photos are beautiful, wonderful, but not all.

but this place is a dream, thank you for sharing

J Bar said...

Spetacular shots. Such beauty.

Woody said...

How cool is that? Great collection. I'm particularly fond of the osprey shot at the top.

Clytie said...

Beautiful photos of a beautiful place. It's the magic of the photos that counts, not the photos themselves. If that makes sense! Even the most beautiful of pictures may not convey the emotion of a place - like you seem to do.

Love this series. Especially the osprey!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Love the osprey shots! What a visually interesting place. I love your photos of it.

~ Tracy

2sweetnsaxy said...

Beautiful shots, especially the ones of the osprey!

Spiderdama said...

What a place!! Wonderful photos as always!:-)

Marie said...

Awesome formations! Thanks for sharing.

Photo Cache said...

such a fabulous place. next time i would go where the tufas are, never did have enough time to spend at mono lake before.

your snaps are superb.

www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

Snap said...

Lovely shots, Jill. Gorgeous place.

ρομπερτ said...

Looks as far from a big city as a fairy-tale, amazing photography indeed. Please have a nice Wednesday.

daily athens

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love Mono Lake. And your pictures are amazing. But I thought you moved away from CA?

Maybe I have my blogs mixed up. Highly possible.

Ruth Synøve said...

Beautiful photos. The last one was great. I love it.

Poetic Shutterbug said...

These are beautiful shots and that wingspan is powerful and just amazing to see.

Coffeeveggie addict. said...

they are all beautiful shots and very nice place to visit...