Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Snow in June? Are We in the Southern Hempisphere or Something?!


We've been in Truckee a week now, started work on Friday. The first couple days were a little brutal - 5 30 am with temperatures around 24 degrees. And no Willow Flycatchers either. Stuff started looking up a couple days ago with sun and birds.
I found 3 WIFLS and regained feeling in my frozen toes. Glad I didn't have to amputate cause then my new nickname would have to be Stumpy or something. I dunno how I'd feel about that. Yesterday I had two more WIFLs and the temperature wasn't even below freezing. Wheee! (check out the insane snow below- I got my right leg stuck in this a few minutes before and couldn't get it out. There was a brief moment of terror)
Zac and I tried to go for a hike last week but the roads were closed because they had about 3 feet of snow on them. Crazy. The first few days we were here, it snowed, rained, hailed, and sleeted. Some of the field sites are still inaccessible because of snow or snow melt. Egads! But, hopefully there will be no more snow this season...I mean, it is June now, yeah? abc wednesday (T, Truckee), Watery Wednesday

23 comments:

Woody said...

Wow, sounds pretty extreme! Years ago, I rode my motorcycle to Colorado and we hiked in Rocky Mtn National Park late July/earl Aug. One day, we had a snowball fight, but it was existing snow.

Carolyn Ford said...

Wow! But, it sure is pretty! That top photo with the reflections is AWESOME! Have fun and be careful out there.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Just as long as you don't get the fresh stuff! It is pretty.

Miguel Martinez said...

Beautiful photos.

veredit said...

OMG! snow in July!!! and frozen legs, that's really a hard working-situation, but the pictures are sooo beautiful!!! Thank you for this application.

Sylvia K said...

I don't envy you the cold, but what a gorgeous place! Haven't been there in many years, but it's as beautiful as ever. And I agree with Carolyn, that top photo with the reflections is awesome indeed! Wow! Have fun, enjoy and do be careful!

Sylvia

Carver said...

That is amazing to have that much snow in June. Great shots. Looks like a beautiful area to explore.

J Bar said...

Beautiful shots.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Susan said...

Of course I don't believe in climate chan..............

Ted C. MacRae said...

How I adore the Sierra Nevada!

Amy said...

Great shots of SNOW - oh my gosh, enough already!

Granny Smith said...

No, it's not usual weather for spring in Truckee. Your photos are stunningly beautiful!

Roger Owen Green said...

Re: your weather - no, THANKS! Pretty, THOUGH.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Jingle said...

stunning t post.
love your smiles!

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

I grew up and raised a family in the Colorado Rockies...we've even had picnics on snow banks on the 4th of July!!!

Here is my Watery Wednesday...hope you can stop by to say howdy to me by CLICKING HERE -----a new Fountain by the Sea

cai said...

Great photos of the nature.
If your interested check out my newly opened photo challenge website which is abit different from the rest :)
www.weekdayphotos.com.
Its all about being creative and having fun.

Have a good one!

Carol said...

Wow!! Beautiful images!

gengen said...

wow looks stunning shot...Happy watery Wednesday.

Clytie said...

Wow. But that snow made for some absolutely stunning photos!

Can't wait to see what happens once that snow melts and you really get going!

Tumblewords: said...

Terrific photos!

Birgitta "foto CHIP" said...

Looks like you have had some great days in the snow :)
Lovely pictures!

http://foto.rudenius.se/post/2010/06/02/Watery-Wednesday-e28093-Left-shoes.aspx

Jay said...

Good grief!! But you got some stunning pictures. My favourite is the all white and blue one. Just gorgeous.

Regina said...

Beautiful scenes and awesome captures Jill.
Cheers.