Wednesday, July 7, 2010

PIKA PIKA PIKA!


(Melissa, Me, Lisa)
The good news is that we saw a Pika. The bad news is that there are no photos. (yet...will definitely return with proper lens). We (Zac, Lisa, Melissa, and I) wanted to go for a hike on Saturday but the July 4th weekend in the Tahoe area is like a freaking bloody circus so we weren't really sure where to go to escape the peoples. We didn't really get away completely, but after a mile, no one was on the trail.
Pika! It's been a few years since I've seen I've seen one - last time was backpacking in the Tetons in 2007. So it was about time for a pikapikapika sighting. Pikas make me happy. I don't think I'd care to live in a world without Pikas (or pandas or sea turtles either for that matter). We watched this little guy for a pretty long time, taking in his ridiculously adorable pika-ness. Gahh! Pikas!
We're headed up towards the Lassen area for the next couple days for work and hoping that maybe we'll get a chance to head up to the park in the afternoon and locate some more pikas. Pikas! That is all. Blue Monday

16 comments:

Ms. Bake-it said...

Pikas are so cute! I kept looking at the pictures thinking maybe there was a Pika lurking in them. Great shots of the gorgeous scenery! I hope you see (and get pictures) of Pikas while you are in the Lassen area.

~ Tracy

Woody said...

So I had to google Pika, because I've never heard of that term. Cute little buggers, I can wait to see photos. Great shots, breathtaking scenery!

Martha Z said...

They are such cute little critters. I often hear them when I cross a scree slope on my normal hike but they are shy and I rarely spot them.

Denise said...

I would be absolutely thrilled to see a pika. I have only seen them in nature shows or in photographs. Such cute little animals. And talking about cute, your photos of the little ground squirrel is beyond cute. Loved catching up with all your photos today. You got some great ones and I thought your header photo of that little bird was fabulous.
An English Girl Rambles

~mel said...

I never heard of a Pika before today... I love it! You're never too old to learn something new. Thanks for sharing your wonderful hike in the mountains. Breathtaking scenery!

Spiderdama said...

Looks like your on a nice trip. Wonderful pictures with lovely mountain in background!
Wish you a blessed weekend:-)

cat said...

Hope you get a photo of the little bundle of cuteness soon.
I "caught" my own petit and very cute little critter yesterday.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

I love the Lake Tahoe region, from all sides, your images share it's stunning beauty. Pikas... I have only seen book images, so I can hardly wait to view your shares~

biobabbler said...

SO agree. and the sound they make is just so squeaky stuffed animal, it kills me.

Unfortunately, did you hear USGS has found that this is among the first species measurably suffering losses due to global warming. 72 degrees (or thereabouts) and they over heated, and you can only go so far UP and you run out of mountain. Hoping some pika miracle transpires so they end up ruling the world. Maybe tiny swimming pools as mitigation?

Wren said...

Lucky you! They are adorable and more, and I'd love to see one in real life.

xinex said...

Breathtaking views! I just learned something new today, didn't know about pikas until now. Thanks!..Christine

Pie said...

Awesome views! Happy Blue Monday.

My Blue Monday.

Jan LaFollette said...

After all the rain we have had this spring....isn't it nice just to see miles and miles of BLUE sky!

SmilingSally said...

I've never met nor seen a Pika. I'm happy that you saw one, along with those blue skies.

Happy Blue Monday.

LV said...

Another great post on the most beautiful place. I loved that area.

Marice said...

that place is really amazing! :) thanks for sharing the wonderful photos to us!
u may view mine here