Thursday, July 1, 2010

Things That Don't Suck Part II


White -breasted Nuthatches! These guys are from...well, I don't really remember anymore. They were near one of our field sites. The pair was very attentive to their nestlings, going in and out of the nest cavity all the time.

Speaking of WBNUs, there is a pair that keeps coming to the suet feeder (well..currently, there is no suet feeder because a black bear finally found it and destroyed it) and the bird bath/water fountain we set up right outside our window.
The water has attracted lots of birds (and ground squirrels and chipmunks, too). We've had Western Tanagers, White-headed Woodpeckesr, White-breasted and Red-breasted Nuthatches, Brown Creeper, Mountain Chickadees, Steller's Jay, a Robin pair, Douglas's Squirrels, lots of chipmunks, Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel, Rock and Western Gray Squirrels. There might be a few that I'm forgetting. Shadow Shot
But really, the point right now is that there is a lot of activity at the water and this makes me happy. I'm pretty bummed. Sad. Depressed. About to admit myself to some sort of institution...because of the oil spill..because Bf'inP is burning sea turtles alive. (Sign the petition if you have any heart at all). (Side Note: Here's the update on that...at least something got 'resolved' quickly but the fact that they have to come to an agreement about something that horrid absolutely kills my faith in the human race) The guys coming to the feeders and the water put a smile on my face. Watching the White-headed Woodpecker female bathing in our little rigged up bird bath made me forget the sadness for a while...the Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel (who I have named Norm) stuffing his cheeks until they are fatter than fat...that makes the pain go away for a few minutes.

13 comments:

NatureFootstep said...

fine photos of the Nuthatches. Their behaviours seems a lot like ours.

Woody said...

Neat sequence. You get a lot more species.

At the moment, I'm watching a bunny and a squirrel feeding off the sunflower seeds under one of our bird feeders.

We have a simple fountain on the back patio just a few feet from the back of the house. The sparrows and finches fly from the feeder to the fountain and go back and forth. It's fun to watch.

The whole BP thing just totally sucks. There is no excuse, but all we are getting are excuses. I don't think many people understand the extent of the damage or how long it's going to last.

From NOAA's site, there is an archive of satellite photos:
http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Current/

This one is particularly disturbing. I'm no expert, but I think the general 'brightness' of the photo is the oil just below the surface from the dispersants. I hope I'm wrong

http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Current/OILgulfmexico160_MO.jpg

Michael said...

Super birds. I love nuthatches and their upside-down antics. Nice shots.

veredit said...

Perfect photos of the Nuthatches, this particular, I have never seen in my life. It's nice to have these moments forget for a moment the immense catastrophe. We are with you sad and ar thinking very much of you.

This disaster affects all of us!

Hugs

isabella

Sylvia K said...

Marvelous captures as always, Jill! And being able to see and photograph this beauty does help give us at least a little break for the horror of the oil spill that does indeed affect us all. I have signed several petitions, just hope they get some kind of action soon!

Sylvia

Ralph said...

Given their diminutive size, this bird leaves big, strong and beautifully defined shadows! I love birds at our homestead, flying or sitting still as they add such charm all around...

Arija said...

Your bird shots are always a joy and these little chaps are no exception.

EG Wow said...

I love nuthatches! Cool photo, Jill.

ramblingwoods.com said...

I was sooooo happy to see that the nutties were successful this year as I was watching the little ones being fed some suet dough....sigh... Michelle

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

Nice sequence of shots with great shadows..

Have a great week

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

What a great shots that gives you a perfect shots.

Happy SS...

Sarah said...

Great shots of the nuthatches. I think that Nuthatch is such a sweet name, like something from a fairy tale.

just jody said...

very nice! i have nuthatches at my feeders and can always tell when they're out there by the distintive chattering....very verbal little ones!