Monday, August 2, 2010

Desolation Wilderness


On our days off last week, Zac and I went backpacking in Desolation Wilderness. (Yay!) It had been a few years since I spent time in there, so it was a needed trip. Pretty gorgeous scenery, awesome landscapes, kickass mountains. There is one drawback about this area though - the Tahoe region is toooo damn crowded! South Lake and everything surrounding it is more or less an amusement park and despite the PCT, Desolation Wilderness, surrounding National Forests, and tons of trails, there is just no way to get away from people, even when you backpack in somewhere.
Luckily, our destination wasn't too crowded. But when we hiked out on a Friday, it was a madhouse on the early miles on the trail. Egads, man. Sigh..I like my solitude, crave it. Don't dig it when there are hoards of people everywhere. Anyway...we had ideal weather and we finally saw Pine Grosbeaks (for you bird nerds). Also some Osprey and Bald Eagle near our campsite, too.
We camped at an undisclosed location (i'm not saying since it's off the well-used trails) on a mountain lake. Fresh clean mountain lakes are a weakness of mine. I kinda don't enjoy swimming (not counting snorkeling and the ocean) but when I come across some healthy mountain lake or river, I can't really resist, even if it's snowmelt.
So, we jumped in when we got there, just for 15 minutes or so. Took a while to warm up, but no big deal. Had some hot tea and soup. In the morning, I wanted to hike up some other trail but Zac wasn't feeling it so I had the swell idea of getting back in the lake at 10 am. This was not a wise choice. There was an island in the lake and I thought we should swim to it. Stupid. Ended up being in the water for 45 minutes or so. My teeth were chattering for about that long afterwards. The sun healed me eventually but I haven't been that cold in a while. The water temperature, being all snow melt, was probably around 40 degrees. Poor decision making on my part...
Shake it off! I shook it off! Then we hiked back. Great little trip. I think we've slept in the tent more than we've slept in the bed this season. Just the way I like it! Abc Wednesday (C=COLD H2o) Watery Wednesday

28 comments:

ChrisJ said...

Wonderful photographs in a wonderful area. I agree. Getting solitude is my great need, but I'm probably 40-50 years older than you so no hiking for me! But that need for solitude doesn't go away as you get older. I have found a few places to get away from it all.

loveable_homebody said...

Wow, Johnny. Camping has never appealed to me, but these photographs are mighty persuasive! Beautiful shots. Nice weather too. You look like you're having a great time.

Woody said...

Swimming in 40 degree water? You are nuts! The hots are breathtaking. I'm surprised at how crowded these area are, I would not expect that.

Dominic Gendron said...

Great images, this place seem very nice!

Barb said...

This sounds like a great adventure. You managed to get off the beaten path. Can't believe you were in the Mt lake for so long - 10 minutes would have done me in - too cold!

bj said...

wow...how fun this looks.
Beautiful photos...
I'm over from Watery Wed.
xo bj

Janie said...

I'm glad you found solitude for awhile at the mountain lake. Don't think I would have gone swimming...
The photos are beautiful!

Denise said...

Wow, that scenery and sky is gorgeous! I envy you being able to jump into the lake but truth be told I would probably have shot out of it as fast as a porpoise, and I don't move very fast these days ;)

Siromade said...

Oh lovely scenes, those photos were amazing looks very fun and nice adventure, I never had a camping I hope I can do one day. Nice photos of your partner too.

Arija said...

Thank you for this superb glimpse into your lifestyle. 40 Years ago I would have swum in a lonely tarn as well, now I can only dream aboout it and enjoy your adventures.

Olive Cooper said...

Beautiful images. What a wonderful life you two have! olive

Rebecca said...

Breath-taking-that's all I can say!!!!!!!

Sandy said...

What a Beautiful area...and the photos can be used in a Magazine...
Nice Post and it looks like you both had a great time!
Sandy

Judy said...

My favourite is the fourth photo! Just the peace and quiet of it!!

Donna (Timeless Settings) said...

Beautiful photos! The color of the sky is just amazing!

Donna

chubskulit said...

Gorgeous!

My Water Wednesday

eden said...

Wow, Jill! These are fantastic photos.The place is so beautiful and you take good pictures. Love all of them

Dinah said...

wow, awesome, great, wonderful, delightful! (I am running put of superlatives)! I wish I can do this backpacking or trekking someday :-)

Watery Wednesday

J Bar said...

Beautiful scenery.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

cat said...

Gorgeous shots again :) I would never have taken a bath in such cold water!

Tricia said...

Hi Jill,

You guys are so lucky to be able to do that & in such BEAUTIFUL country... absolutely wonderful! Gorgeous views, lakes, mountains, etc... sorry bout the crowds though.

Have a good one!

Clytie said...

Wow. You have to be the luckiest person on the planet. To have the resources, time and health to be able to spend more time in a tent than in a bed ... well, that sounds like just this side of heaven to me.

Shey said...

Ahh, these photos are so relaxing. Makes me want to go hiking with you guys. Just lovely, lovely & soothing views. :)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Jill, thanks for sharing your photos. It's been more than 15 years since I've been up there. I recognize almost every place in your photos. We used to backpack at least once a year in Desolation Wilderness. Brings back very good memories and swimming in those lakes up there. :-)
Su-sieee! Mac
This and That. Here and There. Now, Sometimes Then.

Cathy said...

Beautiful photos! I can just imagine how peaceful spending the night in such a picturesque setting would be!

Larry said...

I smiled all through this post Jill! A gorgeous place and I totally understand your displeasure at all the people in Tahoe. My brother lives there and it is crazy, especially in summer.

I love the photo of you and Zak ;-)

veredit said...

Hi Jill, what a wonderful post!!! I can see, that you have a great time - with good humor and even better weather! Uncommonly sympathetic pictures and the scenery is simply magnificent!

Ann said...

sorry there were too many people.

You can still trek by yourself here in New Zealand, some some idiot make it unsafe to camp in the wild. You have to camp in camping groups.