Friday, August 27, 2010

Grizzlies and Mountain Goats and Dirt

What? Where am I? Currently in Kalispell, MT. Haven't bathed (other than in a lake at 9,000 feet) in 8 days. (that's nothing).

Quick update: From Truckee, went to Northern Nevada's Ruby Mountains. Spent a couple days there and did some beautiful hikes. Backpacked in a thunder storm. Also saw heaps of PIKAS! (finally got a couple photos). After the Rubies, went to the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho. Also gorgeous. Extremely beautiful, really. And not crowded. More pikas. Excellent.

From the Sawtooths, went north to Glacier National Park. Weather here not cooperating extremely well, so we are extending our stay. However, finally saw 2 grizzlies (no photos, boo)!! So that was quite exciting. A mountain goat family too, who did seem to pose quite nicely for photos. (oh and a badger earlier on)

Today was rather mehhhhh. Had to drive a few hours to a Honda dealership because Vladmir (the badass Civic) was sounding like it was more or less dying. Think grating metallic grinding noises...similar to nails on the chalkboard times 100. Ew. Luckily, only 50 bucks and a rock removed from the brake caliper. Good.

Staying at a Super 8 tonight. Drinking margaritas and bathing. Sleeping in a real bed. Which is nice, but the tent has been treating me decently. However, I realize, much to my dismay, it could possibly be time to retire the beloved tent after this gig is up. Thunderstorms last night and I got dripped on in the tent. Lame! It had a good run, considering it's fairly consistent use since 2004.

I think we might re-route our schedule a bit because of the driving day today and the weather. Either way, Yellowstone and surrounding areas next. And then Canyonlands and Black Canyon of the Gunnison...

8 comments:

Wayne said...

Good to hear you're well! Sounds like an excellent trip and lots more good stuff to come! I can't wait to see what you've captured.

Barb said...

You are taking a wonderful "tour" of wilderness places. Hope you have good luck with weather here in CO! So far, we have had gorgeous days and cool nights (into 30's here at altitude). I think next week it's to get colder - I'm sure you'll be prepared. Have fun!

joey said...

My sister lived most of her working life (Legal Services) in Kalispel. Isn't it lovely!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Woweee what an adventure you are having. Eight days without bathing, hmmmm I don't know about that for me. Glad you got some pics of some great things, look forward to viewing them. Yellowstone should prove real good for you as well. Have loads of fun, stay safe~ Cheers~

cat said...

Look forward to seing the Pika photos :)

Clytie said...

I can't wait to see the photos! It sounds like you're very busy this summer.

biobabbler said...

argh! Now I'm DYING for the photos!!! Glad you're having an awesome adventure. Nice!!! =)

Kate said...

What fun! I'm way impressed with the 8 days of natural living. That would be a new record for me. Enjoy the margs!