Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hail and Quicksand

So, well. We didn't go to Yellowstone and we didn't go to the Tetons. With good reason - the forecast mentioned rain and show showers with lows such as 22. Decided not to hang around for that. Plus, without backpacking Yellowstone, it's kinda hard to get away from the hoards of people and backpacking in grizzly country makes me mildly nervous.

But, did hang out in the Wind Rivers for a day and did a lovely hike...even though it was kind of lightening and thundering through a lot of it. And it eventually started snowing and hailing on us. Huh. Still pretty. After that we decided to go south asap. Spent the last few days at Canyonlands, one of my favorite parks.

Did a 20 mile trip in the backcountry - didn't see another person the whole time. Excellent. But wait! there was an encounter with quicksand. Yes quicksand. Our only water access was by the river, which was not totally accessible because of a flash flood from a couple weeks before. Resulted in quicksand, lots of it. That was where we were supposed to camp too. Had to find an alternate spot. But, i figured I should probably not sit and filter 12 liters of water for 30 minutes in quicksand. I mean, it's not movie quicksand but it did get up to the low shins right away. I panicked. Not a totally comforting feeling, but kinda cool to watch the entire ground move and suck stuff up. Huh. New experience for me! More later. That's the quick update. Hike at CO National Monument tomorrow, then on to Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

8 comments:

Janie said...

I've been to Canyonlands but never encountered quicksand. Sounds like an interesting experience.

ChrisJ said...

My you are an athletic young person. When I was young, much younger than to day, I used to hike 10 - 15 miles a day in England, (the Lake District and the Peak district), but that was a long while ago -- but it was great fun!

Barb said...

Oh - today you're hiking at the Monument! Hope you'll post some pics. My husband and I road bike through it a couple times a year - usually in the spring and fall (when it's not as hot). Have fun in CO! Stay out of the quicksand!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

I am old enough to remember a show called Bold Journey and they had some of the classic quicksand adventure thingys and any kind, even up to my shens would give me the heebeejeebees. Glad you are OK~

Bill S. said...

Sounds like one heck of a time to me. We also cancelled our trip to Yellowstone over Labor Day due to weather.

Harold Stiver said...

Canyonlands is one of my favorite destinations in the southwest, a little less crowded than some of the others

biobabbler said...

Good call re: weather-inspired relocation. Your hail hike reminds me of one day my mom was visiting so I took her to Yosemite (of course) and we got to Tunnel View, parked, and looked, and while freezing rain was pelting our faces (MISerable weather), all my mom said was "It's so BEAUtiful!" =) Awesome.

LOVE Canyonlands. SO stunning. Think I may have flown over it based on some pics I took from the plane, recently. Have fun!!

Martha Z said...

I don’t care much for crowds either, but Yellowstone is so beautiful I make an exception. I do go on the shoulder season, though.