Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Good Friend(s)


I haven't had a chance to look at my photos since early August, so there were some pleasant surprises in there. I had no computer and just put all my RAW files on the hard drive, unable to convert them. Now I can finally check 'em out. Nice.
These are from the Truckee backyard. So, the White-headed and the Nuthatch have made appearances in the blog before. But here's the cool thing- the White-headed and I did some serious bonding since then. Any time I went outside, she'd fly in (she may have been stalking me) and check me out.
One day I walked out there and she FREAKING LANDED ON MY ARM!!! I mean, holy hell. That's just cool. Awesome. Badass. Yes, those adjectives work. It was crazy! My friend Michaela was able to snag a quick photo (for proof!) Nature Notes
The White-headed actually did this two other times when I was out there alone. So incredibly neat. She sat in my hand for about 4-5 minutes one day, inches from my face. We just stared at each other. Obviously I cried because that was just outta control cool. I mean, how often does that happen, really? I think I love her.

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's amazing! I would have cried too.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Jill, what a cool experience with the White-headed, wonder what her deal was? Whatever it was... landing on your arm was like the icing on the cake for you other awesome images. Take care. I am headed west for two weeks now and hoping to be able to keep my laptop working enough to stay on task. Take care~

Barb said...

That is AWESOME! She will tell you something important - I'm sure of it. Listen carefully.

Dominic Gendron said...

Love the White-headed, its a very nice bird! Great shots ;)

It's hard to not be able to look at your images for a while and only loading them to a hd!

jason said...

Awesome shots! What beautiful birds. And your experiences with the white-headed are beyond description. Fantastic!

Rambling Woods said...

Nice to see you Jill...and wow that is some major cool...if you have time check out my post on the great blue heron rescue...we managed to get one that was tangled in fishing line and the it was rehabbed briefly and released.....one good story from this summer....Michelle

Al said...

Incredible! I've never had a wild bird approach me.

Larry said...

Oh Jill, I so envy you. When you are in tune with nature to the point where a wild bird contacts you, it is magic.

She is a beautiful bird. I would love her too. The White-breasted Nuthatch is no slouch either. Great photos and a super story.

ChrisJ said...

That is simply amazing. For an experience like that I would become a hermit, or maybe Francis of Assisi.

EG Wow said...

Very cool indeed!

Carver said...

Wow, that's absolutely amazing. I would have cried too. These are fantastic shots.

Clytie said...

I'm agreeing with most here that I would definitely have cried too! What a wonderful beautiful awesome fantastic experience!

cindyzlogic said...

Wonderful shots and story!!