Wednesday, September 29, 2010

To the Rubies (Day 1)


Well then. I did attempt to keep a journal of some sorts on the most recent road trip. So bear with me, I'll be posting 30ish days of wordy stuff. Don't worry, it's nothing touching to the soul or wisdom soaked insight, just a play by play of cool stuff I saw and did. And some photos. So to the point...

20 August (Day 1)

Got out of Truckee in the early afternoon (ohhh yeah, good to be out of that field house!) and eventually made it to Elko, NV after various must-dos in the grotesque Biggest Little City in the World (Reno). Past Elko, we started driving up to the Ruby Mountains but realized Vladmir (my civic) might not make it up to the mountain without a bit more gas, so we had to alleviate that possible issue.
Got up into the Rubies. It was around midnight with an almost full moon. I had to stop driving a few times to admire the view. Holy crap! Those rock walls lit up by the moon and stars were pretty badass. Gnarly moonlit rock faces. If it looked this pretty in the middle of the night, my guess was that it was going to be awesome during the day (it was).

The campground was full. I assumed there would be off the grid places to go. Wrong though, canyon on one time, rock walls on the other. Got to the end of the road and had no place to set up the tents. Huh. Wasn't sure if permits were needed so long story short, ended up sleeping in the car. Not an ideal situation, but we did manage to sleep. I felt pretty good in the morning surprisingly.

4 comments:

Steve Borichevsky said...

Dudette, I've actually been to Elko. Had some pretty cool mexican at a little hole-in-the-wall. But that isn't why I'm commenting. I really love the photos.

Birding is Fun! said...

Did you see the H. Snowcocks?

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Your post images are brilliant, but I must say...your banner is delightfully wonderful~ I LOVE it~

Johnny Nutcase said...

Northern NV is definitely one of my favorite places. I've been through the Loneliest Road before and those mountains are just plain awesome. The Rubies did not disappoint! No snowcocks :( Looked/listened for them though - did see my first white-tailed ptarmigan about an hour outside of the mountains. (more pics from the Rubies to come...)