Sunday, October 24, 2010

Glacier: Mountain Goats and Grizzlies (Days 6,7)


(25 August ) was a get stuff done kinda day - we had to stop in Missoula to charge camera batteries, stock up on food, etc. Got to Glacier NP around sunset and found a place to camp. Vladimir (car) started making an awful noise. Ya know, a lovely grating metal sort of noise. Either way, happy to be back in Glacier. Hadn't been since a 2007 backpacking trip. A pretty fantastic place to spend a few days!
26 August
The car was still making noises. And by noises I mean nails-on-a-chalkboard-kinda-want-to-rip -your-hair-out-and-cry kinda noises. Got worse throughout the day. Less than ideal, really. Should perhaps stop taking a 13 year old civic on sketchy dirt roads? Never! (in the picture below, I'm apparently trying to look as nerdbally as possible)
Anyway, ate some breakfast and later saw mountain goats. (cute! Have a ton more pictures of then to post at some point) Spent a while with them, obviously. We found a different place to camp (less people) and eventually got on a trail again. There was a grizzly (my first, finally!) a long way off. Luckily I had Zac's scope with me so we checked her out for a while. Just foraging on a mountainside, pretty cool stuff!
It was really overcast and raining on and off, which was kind of a bummer, but that didn't stop us. I didn't take too many landscape shots because the light was so bad, but it was still a really pretty hike. Like anything in Glacier isn't pretty! Exactly. (the guy above is a Columbian Ground Squirrel)
We could see the grizzly from the trail at a few spots. So cool! When we were done hiking, we saw another one! Yup. Another grizz. Excellent! This guy was standing on his back legs getting some tasty berries. Unfortunately, they were way too far away for photos. But I'm pretty pumped I finally go to see 'em. Zac was a bit jealous...
Once we got back to the tents, it started raining pretty hard, lasted all night. Hmm. My tent actually started leaking, which was sort of bullshit. Granted, that bad boy has been around since 2004. I should tally up how many nights since then I've slept in it. It's gotten good use, but I really shouldn't use it in torrential downpours at this point anymore, so sad! My World Outdoor Wednesday

20 comments:

Seagull Steve said...

in lieu of the standard photo compliments, I am curious what "nerbally" means.

Johnny Nutcase said...

oh. the d was left out. that should explain it more, yes? yes.

Bill S. said...

Sounds like a heck of a trip. If you are luck enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

Gaelyn said...

Yea, no bad views in Glacier, except when pouring rain. The goats are cute. Very cool to see not one but two griz. Sounds like time for a new tent.

ladyfi said...

What a wonderful trip. And what lovely views.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

These are all wonderful Jill, just gorgeous scenery and the goats are wonderful. I have only seen the ones at Mt. Rushmore and would love to view them as close as you have. Now for the Grizzly bears...I have no desire to see any of them close, or at a distance. You are a brave soul~

Mama Zen said...

Amazing pictures!

Babooshka said...

Beautiful scenery and lovely natural wildlife shots. Such cute faces.

Sylvia K said...

Fantastic photos as always, Jill, and, of course, I love the animal snots. Such a gorgeous place and it does sound like a great trip -- in spite of the car difficulties/noise! Don't you hate it when that happens? Have a lovely week!

Sylvia

BraCom (Bram) said...

Beautiful My World posting

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

My Word Tuesday post

Seen on My World Tuesday

indicaspecies said...

Superb shots! I love hiking too, especially in the mountain areas. Have a lovely week.

Carolyn Ford said...

AWESOME! What a trip this must have been! I love the goats...and sighting grizzlies...wow!

Olive Cooper said...

Funny that the squirrel is very cute but the hundreds in my yard eating bird seed are not. The images are splendid even in the weather conditions you had. ♥olive

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Loved seeing your trip and these neat animals. I have seen Florida black bears in the Ocala National Forest on two ocassions, but seeing a Grizzly would be something else. After their recent attacks on humans in two states, I'm glad you were a safe distance away! But how neat to see them!!!

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Willard said...

A wonderful experience. I hope the car didn't break down and let you stranded in a remote area.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Beautiful pictures. Looks like an amazing trip.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Marbel said...

So beautiful. What a great trip!

Donnie said...

The photos are just beautiful. I'm so glad I got to see them.

NĂ¡dia said...

great set of images :D

Janie said...

Great scenery and wildlife. Glacier is so awesome. Glad you saw the grizzly, but from a safe distance.