Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Glacier (sort of): One of those days (Day 8)


27 August.
So the disgruntled car needed a trip to the Honda dealership, 2+ hours away. Considering there were 40 mph winds and hiking would have been less than enjoyable, I guess this was as good a day as any to alleviate the problem.
While taking down the tents in the morning, there was crazy bird activity. Warbling Vireos, Waxwings, Gray Jays, Chickadees, Kinglets, Tanagers, Cooper's Hawk, 4 different warbler species, Robins, and 2 other species I can't recollect. A couple deer checking out the site too. This was all in the tiny campsite!
Anyway, drove the couple hours to Kalispell. The honda people said it was just a rock lodged somewhere behind one of the front wheels (whew!). That's what I was hoping it was but I had some serious car issues 3 years ago last time I drove through Montana, so I figured I should at least check. Didn't want to risk getting stuck in the middle of nowhere again!
Ended up staying at a Super8 and properly bathed for the first time in 9 days. Whoa. Back to Glacier in the morning! (except for the kinglet, these photos are from the hike we took the 28th. I took an excessive amount of 'em)

8 comments:

Seagull Steve said...

Oh, The Glory!

Steve Borichevsky said...

Same thing happened to me with my honda. It made the most gawd-awful screetching. There was a rock stuck between the rotor and some sort of shild. Glad it wasn't serious.

I'm really jonesing for a trip out west. These pictures are not helping me with my DTs.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Boy that's the kind of car news you want to hear Jill! (We're usually not so lucky.) Beautiful photos and hooray for an excuse to take a bath! (I don't rough it really at all, but on our last roadtrip we stayed at a few places where we couldn't shower for a few days -- when we got to a decent campground, I took two or three (in a row) to make up for it ;>) I know it's bad -- and I'm spoiled.

Admire you for your dedication.

Jesson Balaoing said...

wow, wonder of nature...

Clytie said...

I'm so glad you car trouble was minor ... it's always a bit nerve-shattering when your means of transportation starts talking back!

on the other hand, I'm glad you braved it through to get these beautiful shots. Wow. As Seagull Steve said - "Oh, The Glory!"

Briarside Lane said...

I may not comment often, but I do look at your photos. Thanks for sharing these! Just beautiful!

Karen

Out on the prairie said...

Beautiful shots, a bit more barren from 20 years ago when I first went through.Bears are nice,farther north we wore bear bells when hiking which for a first time hiker in bear country I hoped weren't dinner bells.

Janie said...

Glad the car problem wasn't serious.
I've only been to Glacier once, but I loved the place.
The photo with the waterfall is my favorite.