Monday, November 22, 2010

Canyonlands: Craters and Kangaroo Rats (Day 14)


Up early again (saw 4 shooting stars before I fell asleep, nice). Went on a water search in the other direction, but there was still no river access. Thanks again, quicksand! Tried going though the quicksand again but decided I didn't really want the Green River to claim me (it's buddy, North Carolina's Green River, tried to eat me alive in 2004. I have issues with rivers called 'Green'). (looking out my tent, below) Outdoor Wednesday
(above: this didn't totally come out like i planned, but the point was river vs. me..huh) It was looking like our only choice was to cut the hike short by a day. Which kind of pissed me off. So, we started walking back (I was quite grumpy)..and I noticed some tiny, itty bitty drops of water. Looked like there was a spring somewhere around. So, figured we'd give it a go. The picture is crap, but you get the point- it was barely dripping. I filtered around 15 liters. It took a bit of time but it was worth it. Chugged a bunch (tasted a little rock-y but overall it was fine) and went on our way.
(water source...barely dripping, but it got the job done!)
I was so relieved we found water , because now we could camp another night. This campsite was gorgeous - and again - not a person around. Awesome. After the tents were up, did a side hike to the inside of a crater. Reminded me of one of my favorite places in northern Arizona (Red Mountain). Fun spot with some scrambling - another of my favorite things, good stuff.
A Kangaroo Rat jumped on my tent at some point during the night and went into my shoes too. So, that was pretty cute. A lot more bats tonight also, and a couple more shooting stars. Perfect place.

18 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Real niceplace. Like the flaking rock, and real nice to have for yourself. I like having an area like that.

Gaelyn said...

Very cool that you found a spring and got to stay the extra night. Quick sand seems a bit scary to me.

NatureFootstep said...

that´s a wonderful place you´ve been to. We have nothing of the sort here. Not even close. Was the river water undrinkable as you filtered from the rock?

Martha Z said...

BEautiful country, Jill, I'm glad you got to spend another night and share the photos.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Our gorgeous wildnerness, such beautiful country, and I have never seen a shooting star...ever;(

Tricia said...

We were talking about quicksand the other day & my daughter asked me if it's really like how you see it in the movies, slowly pulls you under & the more you struggle, the worse it is. Is it like that? I didn't know what to tell her, because I've never seen quicksand before! How far did it pull you under when you got caught? That's pretty scary!!!
Wonderful captures & I'm glad ya'll found water, too, & experiencing shooting/falling stars out there must be awesome!

Olive Cooper said...

Glad you found enough water. beautiful images.

Custom Comforts said...

What a gorgeous setting and pictures! Sounds like a real adventure.
Cindy

La said...

BEAUTIFUL!

LV said...

You are braver and more adventurous than I would ever be. No way would I camp out that close for Kangaroo to do his business in my tent. It looks a perfect place for a hiker tho.

JO said...

looks like an awesome place!

~ Jo's Precious Thoughts ~

ellen b said...

Wowzers! What a great location and beautiful photos! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Light and Voices said...

It sure is a beautiful part of the U.S.A. Happy Thanksgiving!
Joyce M

Light and Voices said...

It sure is a beautiful part of the U.S.A. Happy Thanksgiving!
Joyce M

Carolyn Ford said...

What an incredible experience this must be...such darkness at night and to see a brilliant sky complete with shooting stars. That quicksand makes me nervous. Be careful!

Jo said...

Amazing photo's.You all are very adventurous...thanks so much for sharing,blog world takes us all on an adventure.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
-Jo
-LazyonLoblolly

Donnie said...

You must really love it there. I think I'd have jumped a mile high if a Kangaroo rat jumped on my tent in the middle of the night...lol...Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Donnie said...

You must really love it there. I think I'd have jumped a mile high if a Kangaroo rat jumped on my tent in the middle of the night...lol...Have a Happy Thanksgiving.