Monday, November 15, 2010

Canyonlands: Quicksand!! (Day 13)


Got on the trail about 10 am, after we refilled water. We were the only ones in the entire backcountry for the next few days, which is pretty awesome! The trail had definitely been washed out a bit by the recent flood but no big shakes. It was a gorgeous hike with nice blue skies and no one else on the trail. Love this part of the country.
It was about 7.5 miles to the Green River, where were going to camp. We were supposed to camp on the river bank, on the nice soft sand. This is also the only place we could filter water. The bank looked pretty wet, and walking to the water, we very soon discovered we were in quicksand. Oh, that's right, QUICKSAND.
(above: that's all quicksand)
My only experience with quicksand up until this point was from the Neverending Story. This wasn't hollywood quicksand, not quite so dramatic, but it was unsettling. It sucked up my feet right away and you could see the entire ground around you start gyrating and caving in. Totally freaky.
I'm sure it wouldn't have eaten us alive (actually, I'm not sure), but filtering 15 liters of water in that stuff for 30 minutes wasn't going to result in anything good. And putting up a tent there? Yeah, don't think that was happening either.
So. This was sort of a problem. We did find a great tent spot but we needed water. We walked a little less than a mile down the river to see if there was any other access. No luck. In them morning we'd walk up stream and check that out that situation. (view from my tent, below)
(possibly sidewinder tracks above) It was an ideal night. Didn't even bring the rainfly with me and the temperature was perfect. I guess the mosquitos were gross awful but I don't have reactions to their bites, so it was bearable. The night sky was out of control and I saw a few shooting stars. Lots of bats after sunset, too! I'm sure they were having a feast of a mosquito buffet! My World Outdoor Wednesday Nature Notes

29 comments:

BLOGitse said...

wow, what a place to hike. I'm not sure I'd like to spend a night over there... :)

Lucy Corrander said...

A terrifying and beautiful landscape. A truly terrifying and better-if-it-had-not-happened-but-so-glad-you-didn't-get-sucked-in experience.

Thank you for following Pictures Just Pictures. I've used all my photo allocation there so I've moved to

Message in a Milk Bottle

http://messageinamilkbottle.blogspot.com/

where I will be continuing with one photo a day, as usual.

So . . . it looks different . . . it's in a new place . . . but it's the same.

Lucy

Carolyn H said...

Actually, I think that's a definite on the sidewinder photo.

Carolyn H.

Carver said...

The beauty is overwhelming. I wish I could explore that part of the country. The quicksand would definitely scare me.

Sylvia K said...

Such incredible beauty! And your photos are stunning! Terrific place to hike, but I would definitely want to avoid the quicksand!! Hope you have a great week, Jill!

Sylvia

Rosadimaggio63 said...

Grandioso e magnifico luogo !!!
Mi piacerebbe molto poterlo visitare :)
Buona serata.
Myriam

Seagull Steve said...

Ooh...that second to last shot is psychedelic. And you got a new camera and lens? Your shots are going to be even better???? Scary.

Denise said...

How very cool! And those tracks were very interesting, as well as all that spectacular scenery. We always say that when we get back in that neck of the woods, we are heading to the Canyon lands. I wonder if that is anywhere near Antelope Canyon? I'm not sure of my geography but sure did love walking through it a few years ago.

Jay at The Depp Effect said...

Wow, what an incredible place! I will certainly bear the possibility of quicksand in mind if we eventually manage to get to Canyonlands! And the sidewinder tracks are pretty cool. Yep, I'll remember to watch out for those, too!

Oh, yeah, and I'm told they bury themselves just under the sand in the heat of the day so it's necessary to watch where you walk. Mmm. Do I really want to go there?

Yep. It's gorgeous!!

Dominic Gendron said...

Great serie of images. I had no idea quicksand really existed!!!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

You are such a brave soul...quicksand, just thinking about it freaks me. I was a young child and used to watch Bold Journey and they would have segments of people going down in quicksand. That does look like Sidewinder tracks. Your scenery is marvelous. Have a great week Jill~

LivingSoAbundantly said...

What an adventure! :)

Arija said...

What marvellous and majestic country except for the quicksand which would have freaked me out completely ( heard and seen some hairy tales of that!) but otherwise its my kind of country . . . especially without any other folks around.

Thank you for sharing the beauty and wonder of it.

Al said...

Spectacular photos and a fascinating read, that must be an amazing place to hike and camp.

Gaelyn said...

Such amazing views from your camp. The idea of quick sand is rather disconcerting. And then the sidewinder. But I'd say all worth it.

BraCom (Bram) said...

sorry for the late reaction, but I had to do my job the whole day

Beautiful My World Tuesday posting

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

Link to My Word Tuesday post!

Seen on My World Tuesday

Out on the prairie said...

Nice to be in this area when it is a bit cooler. Wish I could not be bothered by those skeets, they eat me alive.

Carolina Mountains said...

Incredible place - so stark!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow awesome pictures!

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

Shirley said...

Beautiful photos. I always wanted to see that. I don't think I'd spend the night either!

Light and Voices said...

Lovely country!
Joyce M

jabblog said...

It must be an amazing feeling, to be completely alone, the two of you, with no other humans around for miles and miles. The water situation sounds a little trying, though!

Donnie said...

Your photos are really gorgeous. Happy Outdoor Wednesday.

NatureFootstep said...

I love athis red rock. Wish I had the possibility to go there again. Thats something about it that goes straight to my heart.

EG Wow said...

I could happily live withOUT the quicksand. :)

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

Amazing pictures especially of the sidewinder tracks.I am having a giveaway and hope you will stop by. Blessings, Debbie

Rambling Woods said...

I just sit and shake my head when I read your posts because my only camping adventures were a sleeping back outside of a cabin... but quicksand....good thing you and hubby are on the same wave length so you can be out together....Michelle

Rambling Woods said...

Oh...thank you for the good thoughts about my Mother...I appreciate it..

Carol said...

Gorgeous photography and quite the adventure.