Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Glacier: Bighorns, Grizzlies, and Rain (Day 9)


We left Kalispell pretty early and got to the trailhead at Glacier around 0900. It was 35 degrees. So, well, that's kinda cold. The sky looked pretty mean but we were determined to do this 11 mile hike. So we did. And it was an awesome hike, even if the weather didn't cooperate too well. We saw some cute columbia ground squirrels and a mountain goat really high up on a rocky slope..oh! and two Three-toed Woodpeckers (life bird).
The trail had ~3500 feet of elevation gain (just the way I like it!) so that assisted in warming me up. Beautiful views. When we got to the highest point, the rain started to take some names, so we began the descent fairly quickly until I spotted two Bighorns near the trail. Bighorns! We had seen 6 earlier further off the trail, but these guys were really close.
I was glad I brought the 500 mm on the hike (I don't usually do that on long hikes). I was able to get some really nice shots of the sheep (more in another post later). It started raining pretty hard but at that point I didn't really care anymore - luckily I brought proper raingear. Nature Notes
Eventually started hiking...or rather, running, down the trail. After a couple miles, the rain died off a little bit. And then! THREE GRIZZLIES! Awesome! Again, much too far away for proper photos, but the 500mm works pretty well when I don't have binos on me, so I was able to check them out pretty well. It was a large female with a radio collar and 2 cubs. Really neat stuff!
After admiring them for a while, started hiking again. Got to the trailhead and the temperature had dropped significantly and the rain was not kidding around at this point. We ended up leaving the park later since it was supposed to snow that night...Watery Wednesday Outdoor Wednesday
Despite the crap weather in Glacier, it was a great time there. All sorts of good fauna and I finally saw grizzlies (5 of 'em!). Niiice.

36 comments:

elvira pajarola said...

MAGNIFICINET INDEED, Jill!!!
Certainly i love these Mountain regions....the fury inhabitants...and the hiking trails!!!!
....a little sun would have been nice; but the pics look fabulouslyadventurously...!!!

( I remember hikes like that with my dad.....some years ago though....)

WONDERFUL, Jill!!!!

ciao ciao elvira

Tricia said...

Beautiful images of beautiful country!

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful shots of Glacier. I loved that park.

Livsnjutaren said...

Lovely pictures.

Seagull Steve said...

Epic scenery. I still need to get to that part of the country.

FotoAnna said...

Hi Jull ,
What a landscapes you showing us... the falls... beautiful and al those views, animals and the vegetation... I really love it !!
Thans for visiting my blog... ;-))
Greetings from Holland,
Anna

Barb said...

Hi Jill, Really enjoyed hiking with you - and I didn't even get wet. You did hit the jackpot with wildlife. Great photos!

indicaspecies said...

That sounds like a tough but adventurous hike, and superb photographs here!

Genie said...

As always, your photography’s so beautiful. This week I especial like the way you captured the glacier and the goat. What a wonderful life you are leading. If I were wooing I would love to follow in your steps.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

All of these images are awe-inspiring, just breath taking. I love the scenic captures as well as the creatures. So much beauty untouched by man abounds out where your travels have taken you~

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Amazing place...beautiful pictures...that was a hike? It is all just breath taking.

Bonnie said...

Awesome photos. Beautiful scenery and sounds like an incredible experience. What an adventure!

Sandy@Life Began In A Garden said...

Gorgeous photos, that little sheep looks like he has something to say!

Marina Capano said...

Amazing pics!

wonderful place! thanks for sharing with us

xoxo

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Wow! Stunning photos!

Marites said...

wow!! amazing! i just miss the mountains and you rekindled that longing by your nice photos. I love those animal photos! They were looking right at you or the camera :D

Shirley said...

When you say Glacier, do you mean Glacier National Park? The mountains are so beautiful. We lived about 1 1/2 hours from Waterton National Park most of our lives (mine and my husbands and most of our kids) until moving to Edmonton. How we miss those mountains. Great photos of wildlife and I love that waterfall!

Donnie said...

Your photos were magnificent. Are you hiking alone and if so are you worried about bears or other large critters?

Marka said...

Sounds (& looks) like an awesome time! I gotta get out and hike again, it's been too long since I've just hiked to hike. Cheers!

A Garden of Threads said...

Rugged and beautiful at the same time. Fabulous photos.

Light and Voices said...

Ohhh.....how cute is that Mountain Goat. Magnificient country being shown in your images.
Joyce M

Dominic Gendron said...

Lovelly images, specially the bighorns! Seem like quite and adventure....always interesting to read your story's !

Fotobloggen 2010 said...

great photos, so well composed
seems you had a great time out there!

Susan said...

So you ran down the mountain? Sheesh! You and 3500 ft elevation is pretty inspiring..and the photos are great. I'm not a climber, but I do love the mountains, and your shots capture what's great about them!

KayC. said...

Great photos! The mountains, wildlife,and blue skies (it doesn't rain much here) are some of the reasons I live where I live.

@nemonen said...

Thanks for sharing so wonderful photos. They are great.

Shahz said...

Thank you for sharing your Watery Wednesday photos!!! its very WONDERFUL!!! :-)

Jenn said...

wow! All your photos are awesome! I love it!

Linda said...

Sounds like a wonderful hike! Great photos!

Steve Borichevsky said...

What a wonderful place. Good job with the photography.

Carver said...

Your photography from the hike is fantastic. Wonderful shots of the landscapes and animals.

Leora said...

Beautiful - hard to believe you were really there. Like something out of an Albert Bierstadt painting.

A piece of news said...

I love the critters and it's too bad we didn't get to see those bears! :)

Beth Niquette said...

What lovely photography! I love the goat--he looks quite interested and seems to have something to say, too. lol

Your photography is magnificent!

Janie said...

Your photos of Glacier's magnificent scenery are great! I love the bighorns.

Rambling Woods said...

Wow...and I complain if I have to drive that far... Amazing views. Love the bighorns.. I never have bins or a camera when I need it ....Michelle