Friday, December 3, 2010

Treasure. Treasured.

It's fairly unclear what's happening in this photo, yes? Zac and I were looking for mushrooms and herps at Noxubee a couple weeks ago and I found this (eastern) box turtle shell, upside down and full of water. It had faded pretty white, it was obviously quite old. It was lying in a heap of excellent looking fallen leaves and I could see the reflection of the trees in the little pool of water.

It took quite a few tries to get the photo. It was getting kind of dark and we were under trees. I couldn't use flash because that would ruin the reflection. I tried using the 90mm but I ended up using the 50mm at 1.4. I kinda wish the shell was more obvious but the more I look at, the more I really like it. It just seems rather peaceful. Weekend Reflections

19 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Fascinating capture, Jill! Amazing what we can sometimes find even when we're not looking for it! Terrific! Hope you have a great weekend!

Sylvia

'Tsuki said...

I'm impressed : it must have been very difficult to get this shot from such a tiny pool, by specially with night falling... Nice work !

Quasi Serendipita said...

That's such a delicate reflection. Beautiful :-)

Gine said...

Intéressant ! L'explication était vraiment nécessaire, mais le reflet est bon !

RuneE said...

A very interesting composition - the out-of-focus frame only increased the interest

Kim, USA said...

Very interesting!
Monitor Me

Tricia said...

very creative & observant to find that! WoW!

Gaelyn said...

Awesome! Nicely captured. I thought for sure you were looking through a not hole. Sure hope you found some good edible shrooms.

Sistertex said...

So glad you explained it. I would have never guessed about the turtle shell. It is an absolutely beautiful photo. Nature never ceases to amaze and provides some of the most interesting beauty to be found.

Thanks for sharing - great photo!

Woody said...

Cool subject, tough lighting situation! You'd need a pretty narrow aperture to get the whole shell, definitely looonnngg shutter time.

Pagan Sphinx said...

Its own little world, that reflection.

ChrisJ said...

The photo is excellent, but I'm mostly impressed by the person who thought of taking such a photograph!

Elisa said...

A very interesting capture.
Well done
Have a nice w-e

biobabbler said...

Poignant.

Marka said...

Excellent!

Leovi said...

Superb framing and unique reflections. very good.

Arija said...

I think it has a rather dream-like quality, like things half remembered. One of those photos that one can look at again and again for a long time and not tire of.

DeLi said...

surreal and mystical

anw said...

Very artistic!