Thursday, December 30, 2010

Gypsum Goodness (Day 21)


Got out of Carson National Forest bright and early, before the sun came up. We stopped in Taos in an attempt to find wireless somewhere. Took a little while but we found a place and I drank an excessive amount of coffee and proceeded to have some pretty intense coffee crazy shakes. Whoa! Skywatch
When we got to White Sands a few hours later, we found a juvenile Yellow-headed Blackbird (more pictures here) near the trailhead. Weird place for him to be, but he seemed to make do and was foraging. He was gone the next morning, so that was a good sign that he took off to a more appropriate place.
We hiked in a couple miles and set up the tents as the sun was setting. White Sands has some pretty impressive sunsets and sunrises. No doubt about that. Crazy light and colors all over the place.
Thinking 55 degrees was going to be balmy compared to the low 30's we'd been camping in, I made the mistake of just bringing a sleeping bag liner and not my bag and I somehow forgot socks (I hiked in chacos) so...I was pretty ridiculously cold (I brought my bag the next night). I got out a few times during the night to check out the night sky (badass) and saw a few shooting stars. Gahhh! Such an awesome place! (A lot of these pictures are pretty high ISO shots, like the two below especially, obviously. I'm surprised I could hold the camera steady enough for the below one to work at all, nice)

24 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What a fantastic trip! And your photos are superb as always! I love the night shot and the white sands do look like snow! Hope you have a very Happy, Healthy, Love filled New Year!

Sylvia

Eaglesbrother said...

Great post..love the sand patterns too..great skies.

Have a Happy New Year

Carolyn Ford said...

Awesome trip...simply awesome! And, what a great sky to compliment the landscape...

Benikos place said...

Happy and Healthy new year 2011!!!

Miss Becky said...

these are awesome shots. I love the long shadow shot especially, and the night sky one with the light on in your tent. That's a truly beautiful spot. Happy SWF and Happy New Year!

ewok1993 said...

What a fine post. Happy New Year.

Tricia said...

Is there a word better than 'Awesome'? That's the word I'd use to describe the night sky w/ the tent!

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I am glad I found your blog some time ago. It more than anything else is motivating me to go to these places I've thought about for years but keep winding up someplace else instead. Good job on the long shadow shot. Thanks too for the info on using the monopod rather than tripod. This will lighten my load a tad while on hikes.

LauraX said...

Fantastic images Jill...sounds like a wonderful trip (if a bit chillier than expected). Happy New Year!

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

My Dear!

Thank you very much for your visits and comments during 2010.

Thanks cause I learned many subjects of photography with you and all the coleagues of SKYFRIDAY!
Have a nice evening and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
GOD BLESS YOU"
I HOPE WE CAN CONTINUE TOGETHER IN 2011..http://graceolsson.com/blog/2010/12/believe-you-can-fly/

Out on the prairie said...

Very nice selection of picture, absolutely gorgeous. Liked the Yellow Head, there is a marsh I go to and both red-winged and yellow-headed blackbirds control it well.It is 58 here in Iowa today, we were out in the slosh getting a few sunset shots.

James said...

Sounds like a great time and the photos are awesome!

Woody said...

What incredible diversity in photos from that trip!! I can't decide which ones I like the best. The vastness is very humbling.

Jan said...

Such a wonderful area of our great country. Sounds as if you had a wonderful time. Great photos, too.

Marka said...

Awesome skies!

Anonymous said...

Amazing!

Mama Zen said...

That picture of the stars is amazing!

J Bar said...

Beautiful shots shown here.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

BraCom (Bram) said...

Beautiful SkyWatch posting!
thank you for sharing this beautiful photo work

Thanks for your visits and comments in the past Year.
I wish you a very happy and healthy New Year.


Happy SWF! Have a good weekend,
Regards, Bram

My SkyWatch on WordPress

Seen on Sky Watch Friday, Season 4, Episode 25

Jidhu Jose said...

nice sky views.

Happy new year

veredit said...

So wonderful shots, what a awesome trip!!!

Wishing you and yours a very Happy, Wonderful New Year!!

isabella

Kcalpesh said...

Awesome series of captures!!


Pixellicious Photos wishes you a very happy new year!!

Arija said...

God created such wonders for us to marvel at.

Have a wonderful New Year with masses of new adventures.

Hugs and Blessings . . . Arija

marites said...

oh my! that's quite an exciting trip and a good opportunity to take some good shots..i like all the photos. happy new year!