Sunday, January 9, 2011

Carlsbad Caverns (Day 24,part 1)


12 September

There was a female Varied Bunting, a couple Ash-throated Flycatchers and three Bullock's Orioles when I crawled out of my tent this morning. Good stuff. We left Guadalupe around 0800 and headed back to Carlsbad. My World
So...I love caves. A lot. Cave crazy, even, eh? But I just can't get into the touristy cave thing. I mean, no doubt that Carslbad is an extremely badass and impressive cave system. It's freaking awesome, but sidewalks, steps, elevators, giftshops, bathrooms...all in the cave? I don't dig it. It's just weird. I love the cave itself and am completely impressed by the actual cave, just not what the park service has done with it.
I hadn't been to Carlsbad before, afraid of the tourist attraction and knowing the experience could likely disappoint. Again, beautiful place and cave but I would have enjoyed it much more on a more uh, primitive and unmodernized level. Ah well. This cave is more my style. Check it out, the cool factor will make you drool lika fool.
My favorite part about Carlsbad was this old man bat stuck in one of the formations. No doubt he's been around there for quite a while. Kinda hard to see, but look closely and you should see his outline. Neat-o!
Anyway, I checked Carlsbad off my list and glad I did, despite my smack talk about it (sorry). I just took texture shots because I only brought my 50mm lens with me, my fastest lens. No zooming out, so taking pictures of the gigantic rooms wasn't going to happen. (too bad cause they're really really cool!) They're all shot at around 3200 ISO so...whoa. Not the sharpest things in the world but some of them came out pretty nicely.

Back to Guadalupe later in the day...

19 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Nice shots! Carlsbad is a Very beautiful cave but way over developed. The burger joint is way over the top. That's the way it was done in the old days. When we go in March I hope to some real caving with a couple Rangers I know there.

Out on the prairie said...

It has been a few years since i was there. I am hesitant to see these tourist caves ,but then you need to do these things while there, you may never have another chance.

Woody said...

Never been there, but I agree, the patterns and textures are beyond belief. I can clearly see the bat. Sometimes, ya gotta do the touristy thing.

I'm with you on the whole 'improvement' philosophy. It's a park, not a city street. Maybe they'll someday realize it's been over developed and restore it.

Thanks for sharing these!!

Barb said...

The thought of being in a cave scares me, so your photos were adventure enough. That golden light in some of the photos looks like molten gold. I like the striation of the rock, too.

Al said...

Great photos. My 50mm f/1.4 is my caving lens (on the one occasion I've had to take it into a cave), but I can't get useful shots at 3200 ISO with my camera.

ρομπερτ said...

What an impressive mean to measure time, life itself.

Please have a good start into the new week.

daily athens

Dominic Gendron said...

Pretty weird place...but very interesting! Great shots ;)

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Funny to read the very words I was planning to write for my comments "I checked Carlsbad off my list". I took my kids there long ago just because we were in the neighborhood and it was on our list of things to do and see. I knew then I would never return. There are so many other great cave systems to see anyway.

Sylvia K said...

Oh, did these pics bring back the memories!! I haven't been to Carlsbad in many years but have been there several times. It is an awesome place and your photos are terrific as always, Jill! Hope you have a wonderful week!

Sylvia

ladyfi said...

Wow - what amazing cave shots!

Gary said...

Great cave shots!! Boom & Gary of The Vermilon River, Canada.

aka Penelope said...

Gorgeous shots and patterns discovered in the caves. I agree that glitzy shops and tourist things can really distract from the awesome sights of nature. But nice that you managed to discover the best of what was before you.

Esther Garvi said...

Wow! Not sure I would love caves as much as you do but they are definitively fascinating!

James said...

So cool! Caves are amazing places. I went in one in Texas and they turned out the lights and I think that was the one time that I saw total darkness.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I know what you mean about Carlsbad -- it's way too over=developed for real cavers. But I liked it. We went on a guided tour of another cave nearby, less developed, but part of the N.P. one that you had to hike a mile or so into and then a guided tour, where you had to climb using rope ladders. That was a few years ago, and good thing we did it back then!


Your cave pictures are spectacular Jill. It's so hard to get pictures underground.

Sistertex said...

Isn't that a interesting cave, it has been many, many years since I have been in there. The photos you took were really great. I enjoyed seeing the place again.

Kristin said...

What a unique and beautiful rock formation. :-) Lovely world of yours. Thanks for the post and information. It looks so exciting to have a quest to go on a trip into these caves. Have a nice day.

Barbara (Xerraire) said...

Caves are not something I have tried to photograph yet. They are wonderful!

Arija said...

What a magnificent cave! Like you, I just don't get the point of hot and cold running chambermaids in a cave, Keep the tourist junk outside and just have Cave-protectice walkways.
We shun touristy places as well, that is why we neglected going to Ayers Rock for such a long time and when we finally went, some 24 years ago, yes the famous sunrise lookout was crammed with buses and milliards of people but we went out into the desert and had the most wonderful view of it all by ourselves.

Jill, I don't think you could take a so-so picture if you tried and i loce that petrified bat!