Friday, January 7, 2011

Last day at White Sands (Day 23)


11 September

Surprise! Up at sunrise as usual and wandered around the dunes again. Little colder this morning, maybe the barefoot thing wasn't the best idea. But the sand feels so good!
Lots of little animal tracks this morning and I saw the world's smallest scorpion- cute little dude. I saw some tracks that were probably a kit fox chasing something...looked like quite the battle.
We packed our stuff up pretty early in the morning and hiked back to the car. After the obligatory rearranging and attempt at organization (ha!) we were on our way to Carlsbad Caverns. We had to do some battery charging in the city of Carlsbad (don't put Carlsbad on your 'must see' list...) Shadow Shot
We got to the park too late to head into the cave so we ended up driving to Guadalupe Mountains and camping there. That was our next stop anyway, but it still meant a lot of driving back and forth the next morning to go back to Carlsbad. The sun was setting when we got to Guadalupe and hot damn that place is pretty! There was a female Bullock's Oriole at the campsite and an insane amount of walking sticks and praying mantis. Fun!

26 comments:

Gaelyn said...

More wonderful images of the dunes! I really need to see this. Look forward to seeing the Guadalupes and Carlsbad where I haven't been in too long.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Okay, that did it! I'm definitely going to the White Sands N.M. on my next outing.

casseydab said...

great photos you are a great photographer

ChrisJ said...

Those first two images are without doubt the finest and most pleasing to the eye that I have ever seen. I could live with them all day facing me on the wall.

Out on the prairie said...

Some lovely photos, and a nice ending to your tale.

Ralph said...

The dunes have a nice wavy pattern due to the strong winds. This is the nicest sand I have seen, a sort of beach in the desert. Each plant stands alone while casting an impressive grand shadow that belies the small plant size. Amazing captures!

biobabbler said...

You realize, I hope, that drooling into my keyboard is not good for it... So, that first shot? To quote me: "Oh... my God. Look at this picture [directed at Bear]. Holy crap!" I am in LOVE with that shot and the others are also, as ever, delightful. AWESOME. I've never seen a walking stick in the wild--I need to get there some day. Schweet!

Sylvia K said...

They're all gorgeous, breathtaking shots, Jill! Your photos do remind me of what a beautiful place the White Sands are! Superb!

Sylvia

Miss Becky said...

these images are a fave of the day for my Shadow Shot tour. I love them, and I'll leave it at that, as there simply aren't enough adjectives. ok...Splendid.

The Clip Cafe said...

Delightful I love them all stop by if you can http://flowerphotography1.blogspot.com/

Catherine said...

wow these are stunning shots = and you have certainly inspired me to visit this gorgeous place!!

frayedattheedge said...

Beautiful photos - I could almost feel the warmth, instead of the snow and freezing night we have here!

Aina said...

Very nice! Beautiful pictures. I like this a lot.
Have a nice day!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Jill, these are all so fantastic, just such great photographs. You could not pay me to choose a favorite, for they all are so down right beautiful!!!

mississippi artist said...

Beautiful photographs!!!I can't think of anything else-I am speechless!

Janie said...

The huge expanse of white sand has a beauty all its own.

Arija said...

As my son would have said 'yep, sure, ace!'. That could have been me behind the lens on a fabulous beach in Tasmania only your shots are so much better.

Great light and snake trail.

BLOGitse said...

These are really beautiful pictures, well done!

LauraX said...

Oh my, these are absolutely gorgeous photos! I love blogging and the way it takes me to places around the world that I would never see otherwise. Thank you for allowing me to see what you see in this way.

Steve Borichevsky said...

This is Nat Geo stuff.

RuneE said...

These patterns were extremely well spotted - frame them!

Dominic Gendron said...

Very impressive and artistic serie! The 2nd is my favorite ;)

Esther Garvi said...

Wow! Such beautiful scenery...

Marka said...

Great series!

elvira pajarola said...

SUBLIME, Jill....certainly amazing!!!!
I actually love all the Images of this wild nature, but the last one is my fav. : the first grain of sand focused and touching almost the crest of the mountains....SUPERBEAUTIFUL!!!!!

ciao ciao elvira

RNSANE said...

Dazzling photography. Amazing how well you can see tiny tracks in the sand. The shadows are wonderful, too.