Friday, January 28, 2011

The Ranch (Days 27,28)


15, 16 September.

After leaving Guadalupe National Park in West Texas, we hit the road (driving through some serious storm systems) again towards Hill Country. I'm talking about Leakey again, where I'm headed in about a month and where I did field work 2007-2009. Spent some time with Audrey and Mike, basked in the Frio and pretty much just relaxed.
Set up the tents because it was supposed to be a pretty nice night. It ended up being cloudy for a little while but then it got all nice and clear and those gorgeous skies appeared. I took the fly off my tent because I wanted to stare at the stars for a while.
I woke up sometime in the middle of the night, after hearing a rather unsettling noise. I looked up to see a 7 foot rack of steer horns hovering a couple feet from my head. Ah hah! Explained the heavy breathing. It took me a few seconds to realize it was Duke (who I have run into a few times over the years) and I think I said something along the lines of "Duke! Don't step on me!" SOOC
I kinda spooked him and he stomped/ran off. Duke's a little older, harmless, but I wasn't sure how well he could see me or if he had an issue with the tent on his turf so I was a little worried he might possibly squish it, heh heh. Alas, that wasn't his plan and I was glad.
The next day went on a trail ride up to the springs, the headwaters of the Frio River and saw some friends. Then the next day it was time to start driving to Mississippi.

So...finally finished the travel log of the summer roadtrip! (only took me a few months, huh?)

23 comments:

Marka said...

Great collection & stories!

Out on the prairie said...

Very nice area. The red flower youhave, Cardinal Flower is a native species around her. From a test plot of two twenty-five foot rows we gathered seed to plant over three acres.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful views, very scenic.

Janie said...

This looks like a great place to spend a few days. Must've been quite a shock to be awakened by a longhorn steer!

Jan n Jer said...

What an adventure you had...thanks for sharing..your photos are gorgeous!

gengen said...

Oh so beautiful shots...Happy SOOC Sunday.

Lynn said...

When I saw your first photo, I thought "Texas," and so it was. Sounds like a fun trip and enjoyed the photos along with the narrative.

Greyscale Territory said...

What a wonderful adventure through stunning scenery!

Arija said...

Geez! If it ain't rattle snakes, mountain lions or alligator, it's longhorns. Never a dull moment in your adventures!

Jan said...

Beautiful photos. The hill country is one of my favorite areas.

reg said...

Every pic here is a work of art. It makes me want to go and visit.

Liz said...

I love all the photos. It looks like a great place to visit.

Genie said...

What a beautifully shot series and the stories that accompanied them added so much. You must have had a fabulous trip. I just love rural landscapes.

srp said...

What a wonderful wild flower... it does have the same hue as the bird of the same name. Gorgeous. Here it is going to be pretty cold in MS tomorrow... the first winter we lived in Columbus it got down to 5 ℉ just before Christmas and all the pipes in the old antebellum homes couldn't take it. No snow, just really, really cold. I kept small little ceramic heaters blowing near the pipes on our outside walls and wrapped the outside fixtures in bubble wrap. The wildlife there really does NOT like that cold weather.

J Bar said...

What a beautiful collection of shots.

Irene said...

Great shots .... lovely place too! Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Mona said...

wow, i love the place i want to live in this place. With pretty surroundings and good animals :)

Ann said...

Did you sleep with the horses? They were not curious?

Martha Z said...

It's hard to belive any place in Texas can be this lovely if you just drive across the middle. I've been to the hill country and Guadalupe Mountains and know how nice they are.

Luna Miranda said...

these are captivating photos! splendid shots.

Shahz said...

Amazing photos...beautiful place..

Koh-I-Noor said...

Oh my! How beautiful it is. I would love to be there right now :)

2sweetnsaxy said...

I don't think this was Watery Wednesday but it could be. Great shots!