Monday, February 21, 2011

Big Bend Continued...


15 December.

We got up all early and stuff again, just around sunrise. Started a 10 mile hike at 0900, after a fairly leisurely breakfast. We were in the shade the first couple of miles and it was pretty cold, but luckily it was all uphill which helped me not freeze too much. Despite being mid December, there were some awesome fall colors surrounding us.
Lots of towhees, hermit thrushes and Mexican Jays, a few White-throated Swifts. Saw some mule deer also. (the birds from the top: Verdin, Roadrunner, Hermit Thrush)
Ate lunch near Emory Peak in the craaaazzzy wind. Lots of Alligator Junipers (one of my favorite trees). We got back down to the trailhead around 3:15. I wasn't done playing yet though, much to Zac's dismay.
After about 30 minutes of begging and a little bitching, I convinced him to hike 5 more miles with me. So we headed to the Lost Mine trail (a pretty popular one, but we went late enough that we only passed 4 people on their way out, yes!). Zac wasn't quite sharing my enthusiasm for this hike, but I practically ran up the trail. Sometimes my energy level concerns me. I should have been tired from the previous ten miles but nope. It was a pretty great day. We played a bunch of yahtzee and ate a scary amount of soup when we got back to the tent. Good stuff! My World Outdoor Wednesday
(Zac took this cool night/morning shot. I guess morning cause this was around 5 am I think. That's Venus over the peak!)

22 comments:

Barb said...

What a hike - you had some glorious vistas. I even enjoyed the spider!

Gaelyn said...

Wow, you do have a Lot of energy!!! All great captures and sights. I look forward to Big Bend the end of March when I meet a fellow Ranger there.

ladyfi said...

Wow - what a superb hike! Glorious shots - lovely.

Sally in WA said...

Gorgeous shots of Big Bend. I like your spider pic, even if I don't like them much myself.

Gary said...

What a great hike!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Carver said...

Thank you for taking us on this wonderful hike with you. I'd love to do that hike myself, although I wish I were either younger or in better shape. You all look great.

Spiderdama said...

What a wonderful hike in a beautiful landscape! So many great pictures!:-)

Sylvia K said...

Oh, you guys do take the best hikes in the best places ever -- even if it does take a little bitching to get company!! Always love your posts and photos, they're superb! And, yes, I loved the spider, too! Big Bend is a great place and you have captured it beautifully! Have a great week, Jill!

Sylvia

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos from your hike. I love the birds especially the verdin and the roadrunner. The scenery is beautiful.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I like the ocotillo, one of my favorite desert plants just because they are so different. And the Verdin. What a cutie. I've not ever seen one let alone heard of it. I'm with Zach. 5 more miles and you'd be packing me out. Those long day hikes I think are history for me. A great post. Thanks! BTW, Road Runners never stand still for me. Beep, beep!

Laloofah said...

Another beautiful post. I love hiking too, so am enjoying these vicarious hikes with you (in warmer climes!) :-) My husband is from Texas, and during the couple of years we lived there (in Abilene) he wanted to take me to Big Bend, which he loves, but we never made it. Now I'm kicking myself for missing out!

I've never heard of nor seen a Verdin before but now I'm totally smitten. What a cutie! S/he (?) looks rather like the egg from which s/he once emerged!

Great shot of the roadrunner, a beauty of a spider, and the scenery is breath-taking. The early morning one of Venus suspended over the silhouetted peak is sublime!

Miss Becky said...

these are amazing photos. that first is brilliant. and another Roadrunner photo!!! I love those guys. my fave is the spider though. I don't like them, never have, but I have an appreciation for their beauty and that one is lovely. and the 5 am photo is pretty awesome too. I want your life. or least to be shrunk down for an occasional ride inside your backpack :)

Jingle said...

these mountain views are priceless.
Thanks for sharing and for opening our mind.

Lily Hydrangea said...

Sounds like an amazing time! I love your views - just beautiful!

Stewart M said...

What a great set of pictures - like the spider (although they still wierd me out!)

You may like a post on my other blog (http://payingreadyattention.blogspot.com/) if you have a fondness for the eight legged beasts!

Cheers Stewart M - Australia

Walk in New York said...

de vrais paysages de reve, superbe

Remember, Every Friday, The Challenge "Walk In The Street Photography"

Donnie said...

15 miles in one day. That is quite an accomplishment. I can understand why when I see that beautiful scenery.

Love Bears All Things said...

I just mentioned to Honey Bear about this rafting trip I'd read about in Big Ben. I know you are having a lot of fun...no wonder you look so trim-15 miles in one day, whew.
Mama Bear

Michelle said...

What beautiful spots you had.

Beth said...

Keep the energy going! Thanks for sharing all these great photos. I can't be a nomadic field biologist so I rely on people like you to show me these amazing places in our world. How beautiful. What a great way to live.

Carol said...

Glorious looking scenery. Definitely a place to be energized.

Judy Sheldon-Walker said...

What stunning scenery!