Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Big Bend, yup, again.


16 December.

This was our last full day in Big Bend (sad). I guess I forgot to write a journal entry for this day, hmm. We did another desert hike but didn't get started until later in the day. The morning was spent checking out birds at a tiny watering hole we found. I spotted the Crissal Thrasher (two of them) which was a life bird, so that was all exciting for the bird nerds (us). I got a totally crap photo of it just for the record but it's too bad to post here.
I'll post the bird photos from that spot later - though I already put some up of the Hermit Thrushes andRuby-crowned Kinglet.
The hike, like everything in Big Bend, did not dissappoint and I was pretty pumped about it being 80something degrees, since I thrive in the heat. Heat! Sun! Two beautiful things I require. Let's not laugh about that hat I'm rocking. That thing is badass. It's not one of the kinda goofy ones you're thinking of, I promise. And if you saw it up close you'd learn to love it too.
Anyway, the hike followed a sandy wash, with fairly deep sand. Since it was kind of the middle of the day, there were not a lot of wildlife sightings (though we did see another Crissal Thrasher). And that is all. We went back to the watering hole later in the afternoon but there was no action so we left and figured we hit it up one more time before we left the park in the morning. Alphabe-Thursday (T, Texas)

26 comments:

Lola said...

Great captures!

Happy A-Thursday!

Lola:)

Pondside said...

Pretty wild and rough terrain - beautiful images.

texwisgirl said...

Love the close-up of the cactus blooms. I know how tiny they can be. :)

Mary said...

Gorgeous scenery~ love the macro of your cactus!

Judie said...

LOve your photos, but where's the "T"? Did I miss it!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I loved taking a hike with you.

Woody said...

I'm diggin' the macros, especially the cactus.

Jo said...

so not my lifestyle ... so it is wonderful to read about it and see it through a blog. wonderful post!

Clytie said...

So very very beautiful. I love seeing country that is so wild and unspoiled.

P.S. I really LOVE the hat!!!

Teresa said...

Great pictures!

Ames said...

When I was young-er I used to hike but have a bum knee and 50 extra pounds now. So nice to see your pics!~Ames

Inger-M said...

I love those rock formations - so impressive! Beautiful scenery and pictures :-)

Marka said...

Another great collection from Big Bend!

Jackie said...

I was wonderin where the T was and it's right there in front of my eyes drrr. :p It's in Texas! lol

Al said...

Beautiful photos - I especially love the pattern on the cactus. Great eye!

Gaelyn said...

Oh yea! You're getting me totally pumped to see Big Bend the end of March. A friend has reservations at campgrounds plus hopes for some backcountry action.

Dominique said...

Great photos taken close up.

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Crap photos of birds?! Wow, and I was thinking all your bird shots were perfect. Whew! Now I can sleep better at night.

myorii said...

Beautiful photos! Looks like it was a really great trip and you must've had a great time out there :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful Big Bend! Thanks for sharing your hike (I may be repeating myself.. I've really really loved the reminders of this great place.) You can lend me that hat anytime!

Donnie said...

Great photos of an area of this country I have never been to.

gabe said...

heat and sun . .. ohh I could use some of both of those!

Jenny said...

What a terrific link to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "T".

Love this wild and glorious terrain.

Your capture of the cactus blossoms is so graphic and cool. I can see that as a textile.

Thanks for linking.

A+

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

Well you had me at TEXAS....so I had to visit and see where in TEXAS you are posting from. As it turns out you are in my part of TEXAS. Yep, The Big Bend is a familiar place as I went to college in Alpine and lived in Ft. Stockton for many years. It's an amazing part of Texas and you have captured it beauty in your photos. Stop by my blog...I posted about Texas, too. Great Texas T post.

Janie said...

The Big Bend scenery looks a lot like Canyonlands, which we just visited. We hiked there once years ago. Your post reminded me of the fun we had.

Jingle said...

I love Texas...

beautiful shots.