Sunday, March 20, 2011

Random Smattering


(Black-throated Sparrow above) Alas, still no blog access. Still working on that one. Yup. Stuff's going well in Texas. Seems like the Golden-cheeked Warblers are thriving this year. Lots of 'em! Very good news. Saw and heard my first Black-capped Vireo of the season yesterday also, so hopefully bunches of them will start showing up soon.

Zac was in town last week and we did plenty of playing at our old favorite places .Work's been good fun and eventful but a little different than past years since we've got some field sites that are forever far away, which makes for some extra long days. That's the only thing I can complain about though - too much driving! I really want to go down to South Texas and Big Bend at some point but the idea of extra driving doesn't appeal to me right now, though I'm sure I'll need/want to get out of Real County sometime soon!
(Orange Skipperling on Mescalbean/Mountain Laruel)
Still no rain here and none in the forecast. Egads man this place needs some watering! But flowers are starting to bloom and the oaks are starting to leaf out. Check out the guy below. Impressive fellow. He was heavy!
(Huge Silk Moth above, pretty awesome guy)
There was a baby horse born a couple weeks ago on the ranch. What a freaking cutie, and he's gotten a lot more personable the past couple weeks. And curious. Love the little guy. In the below photo he's barely 2 days old. My bike has finally gotten some good use lately, so I'm pretty pumped about that. That's about it for now - wish I could update this bad boy more often!

13 comments:

Wren said...

You've given a pretty good picture of life as a "nomadic field biologist" - both positive and negative. Great series of photos, and as much as I love the sparrow, I'm totally captivated by the moth.

texwisgirl said...

I have to agree - that huge moth steals the show! Even from that sweet colt!

Barb said...

Jill, What wonderful photos! Good luck with your fieldwork and enjoy TX. (I think all of TX was in Breckenridge last week for spring break...)

Marka said...

Great photographs!

Gaelyn said...

Love the moth! Sure wish I wasn't in S TX where it's warm and muggy. One more week and I'll be on my way to Big Bend on the way home. Where are you?

Woody said...

Whoa, that is one honkin' moth; it's really cool looking! That pony is really cute.

biobabbler said...

Dood, how did you get a silk moth to sit on your fingers?!?!? I LOVE those guys--SO incredible. Wonderful photos. I was long distance with my husband (and when dating before then) forever, but finally shacked up. I'm sure you'll get there some day. =) Super charming shot of birdie and skipper and you 2. =)

Kala said...

Love the image of the foal. Wish I could send our rain down to you Jill!

Out on the prairie said...

Great shots as always. I worked at one station that at supper you would announce you were headed to get reception and asked who wanted to join you.

Mary said...

Where to begin...glad to hear from you, glad you got some time with your husby. Sorry the Internet connect is still off! The little bird, the butterfly, moth, and the mare and foal are all wonderful, yet I must say, the moth is really a cool character~

Janie said...

Aw, the foal is adorable. Great photos of moth and butterfly.

Miss Becky said...

that moth is a real wow. you must be in the thick of spring there. hope it rains to bring it all on with some ferocity. great photos.

elvira pajarola said...

Of course I love the magnificient photos...but I love to see the supersympatic pic of you, Jill and your husband........and I do love indeed the little tiny soooo lovely little horse; it is gorgeous!!!!!

ciao ciao elvira