Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Warblers and Vireos and a Woodpecker


What? Whoa! Another blog! So here's some more Hill Country birds for ya, including one of the infamous Golden-cheeked Warbler. (Yellow-throated Vireo above, Golden-fronted Woodpecker below)
I've got a few minutes to give the low-down today. Which includes...well, not a whole lot really. On the bird nerd end of things, I've gotten some good ones for the area. Like Ruddy Duck, Bufflehead, Wood Ducks, Lapland Longspurs, a female Bobolink. All guys I haven't seen around here before, so that's cool. Seems like the GCWAs are starting to nest it up, so that's always exciting. Still not a lot of Black-capped Vireos hanging around yet, but it's kinda early for them. I put some feeders up by my ahem, trailer, and the birds finally found it. Trying to rig a water drip... (Yellow-throated Warbler below)
I've come across some pretty kickass fossils and rocks so far this season. My collection has increased significantly. No porcupines yet but a handful of armadillos and a jackrabbit (also not too common for this area). Also no mountain lion evidence yet either, but I haven't spent much time on the old field sites (which is a bit of a bummer). (Golden-cheeked Warbler below)
There's no legitimate crazies on the crew this year, which is surprising since there are always crazies. Always. I had a pretty traumatizing day last week which involved someone killing something in the truck. Don't really want to talk about that, so I was freaking pumped when I got to house and dog sit for a friend this past weekend. I drank wine, sat int the hot tub and starred at the mesmerizing starry sky all weekend solo. I needed that. (Hutton's Vireo below)

20 comments:

texwisgirl said...

Lots of yellow in that group! The woodpecker is amazing!

Woody said...

I'm with texwisgirl, the woodpecker is really handsome. I just came back from a local park and there were several woodpeckers going to town, but I didn't have time to wait them out. Hopefully, this week will be less stressful for you.

Out on the prairie said...

Amazing shots Jill, I am really impressed at these lovely finds.

Hilda R.B said...

So beautiful birds!!! Thanks for sharing.

elvira pajarola said...

FABULOUS......the little yellow Vireo looks just very cute...

...and the woodpecker did a great job holding its position so greatly; a real model...!!!!!

Fantastic portraits of these birds!!!

Birding is Fun! said...

Awesome photos of great birds!

Barb said...

It sounds busy there, and you have the bird photos to prove it. Stay safe.

biobabbler said...

Oh, Jeez re: truck bed trauma. Ick. Sorry. Glad you got to leave and restore. That woodpecker shot is amazing (the lighting and color kill me) and glad you are having good wildlife time with no crazies. =)

Miss Becky said...

I'm happy you're posting birdies again. these are just so so beautiful. your weekend chill sounds nice. especially if you're living in a (ahem) trailer. I look forward to more pics...
have fun out there.

Frank said...

Great set of birds and definitely a yellow theme here. Stay safe. FAB.

Marka said...

Another great collection! Once it warms up a smidge more, and I slow down when I'm out hiking, I think I'll try for some bird photographs.

Mary said...

Touch my heart with the images of the Yellow-throated Vireo and the gloriously beautiful Golden-fronted Woodpecker...oh my Jill, these are both sensational images, soooo worth the wait~

Gaelyn said...

Just saw my first golden-throated woodpecker the other day here in the Rio Grande Valley. I Love the idea of soaking under the stars solo.

Light and Voices said...

Oh my goodness, you certainly have an "eye" for warblers, vireos and woodpeckers. Nice job!
Joyce M

Dominic Gendron said...

Wonderfulle serie, my favorite is the Golden-fronted Woodpecker...what a nice woodpecker ;)

Steve Borichevsky said...

Nice shooting, Jill.

Janie said...

Glad you had a nice relaxing weekend.
Your bird captures are awesome!

ladyfi said...

Wow wow wow! Fabulous, magical photos!

catsynth said...

Beautiful pictures of the birds. That colors on the vireo and the woodpecker (first and second images) are amazing.

Carola said...

Great photo from the woodpecker. I love the sound they make and my little son always waits for that while in the forest.