Sunday, May 8, 2011

Buntings, whoa!


My feeders that aren't really feeders (more like seed thrown on the ground) have been attracting some good birds lately. Like those infamous Painted Buntings. Painted Buntings! Yeah, that's right! And Lazuli and Indigos too. And Blue Grosbeaks. A Yellow-breasted Chat and an armadillo made use of the water as well. That's cool. The Painted Buntings are everywhere, especially the females and juveniles. At one point there were 4 males and 11 ladies. That's insane. So here's some pictures of 'em. *note: it took me about 2 weeks to get a good picture of the male, so I was pretty pumped when it happened*

14 comments:

texwisgirl said...

we finally have a return pair here as well. great colors!

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, how cute they are!

Arija said...

Qoq!!! Your Buntings are even brighter than our parrots. What a great flash of colour!

Janie said...

These are just beautiful! I've only seen a painted bunting once, and didn't get a photo.

Gaelyn said...

Excellent!

biobabbler said...

Nice! Well, now, thanks to you, I know that pbs are a good example of a species that is NOT well portrayed in bird field guides. The colors are MUCH more complex on your beauties than I've seen in books. Pity the poor painter trying to replicate THAT kinda craziness. And the female standing up and staring right at you--CHARMING. =) Thanks!

Ms. Becky said...

these are amazing shots. my fave is the 4th one down - standing at attention. what a bird.

KT said...

Wow - what beautiful color!

Barb said...

Those buntings truly ARE painted! What viviid colors.

Dominic Gendron said...

very impressive and colorfull serie. they are all great images...but my favorite is #4.

Al said...

Beautiful birds and great photos.

Martha Z said...

Oh what beautiful birds, I wish the would come visit me.

Woody said...

The painted buntings look like they came from Rembrandt's house :-)

Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Someday I hope to see this bird. Thank you for saying it took two weeks to get that picture. I was of the belief these great shots you have on your blog come easy for you. I feel better.