Sunday, September 25, 2011

Look at the tiny.

I come across the little guys pretty often. The gecko is from the Texas Hill Country. I initially thought he was a baby Texas Banded Gecko but I guess he's a Mediterranean Gecko. Either way, he's my buddy. I found him in the sink at this cabin we were staying at for field work. It was one of those big industrial sinks and he couldn't get out. I helped him out (and he dropped the end of his tail, oops) and then he jumped out of my hands.
I couldn't find him and figured he'd jumped on the ground and could find his way out (there were a lot of holes in that kitchen cabin). About an hour later, in a different cabin, I was getting my stuff ready for work the next morning and felt something crawling in my dress. The gecko was on my boob. That's right, on my boob. I almost squished him (yikes) cause he felt like a spider or something. So once again, he jumped off me and he booked it underneath my bed. There was no way to get him but again...lots of holes and I assumed he'd let himself out.
The next morning, I got dropped off at my field site (about a 30 minute drive on rough roads). I got out of the car and bent over to put my boots on and said: "What the hell, there's a scorpion in my boot!" The scorpion turned out to be the freaking gecko - again!

Obviously, he's my new spirit animal. Or at least my spirit gecko. I mean, COME ON! I finally was able to get some pictures of him with my point and shoot and found a rocky outcrop for my gecko friend to make a happy new home.
So the other guy...I don't know what he is other than a miniature and adorable dinosaur. I stumbled on him while mountain biking in North Carolina. I stopped for water and found saw this guy nearby. He ran up my bike tire and on crawled up my arm eventually. Super cute. I like cute stuff.

16 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

You seem to attract them well. What a fun tale.

Woody said...

In your shoes, in your dress, sounds a little like a stalker, although it's too cute for that.

Al said...

That's classic - apparently he really liked you!

JK said...

Looks like the other guy might be a younger Sceloporus undulatus or the Eastern Fence Lizard if you were in the Eastern part of the state.

Leora said...

He seems to like you. Hope he doesn't scare you again.

Karen said...

Lizards are so cute!

Teresa said...

I so would have screamed to find that on my boob. Very cute on your hand though!

Kateri said...

That is a great story! He is so cute. Don't think I would want to find him on my boob or in my boot, though!

BearBoy said...

They are very handsome!
Nice story to go along with his photos!

muted palette said...

Nice to see, but I don't think I could have been that placid in your case :-)
On the wall, fine, but not nearer.

Kala said...

They're both cute, but I am especially partial to lizards. Adorable shots.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Way too cute, those little tiny creatures are absolutely precious, but evidently quite friendly too;) funny~

Lauri said...

Lovely Macro, cute subject. Linking over from Marco Monday.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Great story... I was laughing as I read it! Sounds like kismet!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very good and nice photos.

Regards and best wishes

Janie said...

These guys must love you, since they're following you around. They sure are cute.