Monday, September 19, 2011

Oh. zarks.


About a month ago, spent a couple days in the Ozarks (Missouri part, not Arkansas). While they were certainly pretty, they didn't make my jaw drop. There was a pretty massive storm that started the second we got the tents up, which kinda sucked.
The next day was nice though. Went for a short jaunt in the woods and then I took my car and bike in search of some mountain biking trails. This didn't work out quite as planned. Luckily I didn't get too lost in the sketched out boonies (some serious meth labs happening, nothing different than Mississippi though). Though the Ozark Trail information is full of shit! I asked a few of the local inbreds (no offense anyone) for directions and was invited into a couple uninviting situations ( I declined).
Yeah, anyway. Eventually I ran into a law enforcement guy on a dirt road I shouldn't have been taking Vladimir (my ancient, beloved civic BEAST) on in the first place and he was nice and helpful and gave me useful directions. So, finally I found a bike friendly (uh, kinda) trail and hit it up. Pretty sure no one has been on that trail since it was constructed (whenever that was). It wasn't really what I was used to for mountain biking, but I made it work without any serious injuries. It was about 9 inches wide with a lot of downed trees and approximately 12,433 spider webs going across it.
Despite pulling spider webs and and spiders themselves out of my various orifices, including deep inside my nostrils, I had a good time on the trail. I rode under 2 adult Bald Eagles and had some really nice looks at them. At some point, the not so reliable Ozark Trail just decided to cease to exist. Totally disappeared. I heard some little crying noises nearby so I dropped the bike and wandered around in the woods for a while until I found the culprit - which ended up being two baby squirrels. Well hot damn! It took me a few minutes to recover from the cute attack.
One of them was on the ground and his eyes were closed but he wasn't newborn (as you can see in the photo). The other one was halfway down the tree. I could see the nest at the top of the tree, so they hadn't gone far and they were both in good shape. I read somewhere that they'll do that and the moms will carry them around, so I felt better knowing that. I was glad I had my point and shoot with me for pictures of the little guy. He's pretty freaking adorable, isn't he? Outdoor Wednesday
(Above, really? REALLY??)
(below: liquor and guns - the best combo!)

20 comments:

Gaelyn said...

OMG, that sure is backward country your in. The squirrels are cute.

Arija said...

Wow, what a combination 1,900 guns and liquor!
If I were your mom, I would worry about your sense of adventure, cute as little squirrel.

Patti said...

Cracked up at Arija's comment! The spiders would have sent me off to that store... not sure whether for the guns or liquor! Whoooa!

Patti said...

Cracked up at Arija's comment! The spiders would have sent me off to that store... not sure whether for the guns or liquor! Whoooa!

Leckeres für Mensch und Katze - Goodies for a pleasant life said...

Is it a squirrel. Could you save it from storm? It´s so cute and helpless.

Kate said...

Quite an adventure. Have never visited the Ozarks... Great sign. Makes you wonder!

J Bar said...

Terrific shots.

Ms. Becky said...

you know, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable biking alone through there. that baby squirrel is adorable. that sign promoting guns and alcohol is scary. but the norm, I know. my state just passed a concealed carry law. yep. imagine being out on the town, just having a nice time when someone gets pissed off and pulls out their piece. we're all in trouble. be safe.

Light and Voices said...

What an adventure!
Joyce M

Janie said...

Aw, the little squirrel is adorable.
I'm glad you made it safely down the bike trail, what with all the spiders, meth labs, liquor, and guns!

Veronica said...

Oh my cute overlaod!! that shot of the leaf with the holes is gorgeous!

Biboy Ordinario said...

Nice adventure you have here! And the squirrels are really cute :D

Kindly also view my entry :)
Cagsawa Ruins
Thanks :)

Mrs. F said...

Best post I've seen in a while! Awesome signs, cute squirrel, great scenery...

Linda said...

Sounds like quite an adventure...the squirrel is pretty stinkin cute!

Saun said...

Sounds like you had one adventure. I think I would have went and got some bug spray for sure with a little liquor.... Nice shots

jeanne said...

Sounds like you had quite an adventure. the baby squirrel is adorable. I have never seen one that young. Awesome ride in spite of the spiders.
Jeanne

Nita Davis said...

That is one epic journey. Can't say I would want to get lost in the Ozarks, they can be pretty scary. Glad you had a camera that baby squirrel is just too cute.

eileeninmd said...

Interesting place to ride your bike. NOT! Love the cute baby squirrel.

Karen said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh...baby squirrel...cute, cute, cute.

A Scattering said...

Stopped by via Skywatch and then spied the adorable baby squirrel - holy Hannah, that's cute!